Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Year With Sallie...

tag
Runitup
Regular Contributor

A Year With Sallie...

...and I'm just noticing that points are awarded immediately and useable upon transaction posting.  Does Barclay do that with the rest of their cards?  Don't the rest of the issuers award points at the next statement cut or with AMEX, two months later?  

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: A Year With Sallie...

Barclays does that with all the cards I have seen.
Message 2 of 13
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I guess it can depend on the Barclay card but generally yes they post right away. My cashforward rewards show up as soon as transactions clear. One small annoyance I've noticed with Barclay is that transactions only clear like 4 days out of the week. They seem to take a very long "weekend" period where things sit pending for awhile. I think it's Friday, Sat and Sunday that the  transactions won't clear. Really not a big deal, but kind of weird.

When I had the Upromise card, the rewards didn't show up at all on Barclay's site other than the monthly statement, so those only refreshed monthly and then took some time to appear in Upromise. But that's a cobranded, unique situation/card.

Message 3 of 13
Callandra
Valued Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

I guess it can depend on the Barclay card but generally yes they post right away. My cashforward rewards show up as soon as transactions clear. One small annoyance I've noticed with Barclay is that transactions only clear like 4 days out of the week. They seem to take a very long "weekend" period where things sit pending for awhile. I think it's Friday, Sat and Sunday that the  transactions won't clear. Really not a big deal, but kind of weird.

When I had the Upromise card, the rewards didn't show up at all on Barclay's site other than the monthly statement, so those only refreshed monthly and then took some time to appear in Upromise. But that's a cobranded, unique situation/card.

Yeah, I've noticed this too. A lot of times charges I make on Friday evening won't post until the following Tuesday. Smiley Indifferent Anything on Sat/Sun also won't post until Tuesday. It doesn't really bother me that much though. 

I don't know about the other Barclays cards but Rewards was the same as Sallie - rewards posted right away when the transaction posted. I've found this system to be very user friendly. 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldn't blame co-branded as much as unique, perhaps. SM is co-branded and mine post awesomely
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

What happens if you return the item etc. do they obviously take back the points next time they are earned?

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

The remove the points that were gained from that transaction
Message 7 of 13
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What happens if you return the item etc. do they obviously take back the points next time they are earned?

Haven't done it specifically on a Barclay card but yes, the points will be taken back in accorance with however the bank calculates points (whether it's monthly or by transaction). So with Barclay's I assume you lose the points as soon as the return processes.

Message 8 of 13
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Barclays does that with all the cards I have seen.

Not Hawaiian airlines, cant speak for other co-branded cards.. At statement cut... Love my SM for the reason I can redeem once or twice a month depending on usage

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gotta love my girl Sallie.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.