Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A bit shocked by Discover Credit Line!

tag
vwgrrc
Regular Contributor

A bit shocked by Discover Credit Line!

Just pulled the trigger on a Discover offer I repeatly received in mail. Instant approval for $1000. Really? $1000?

I have about $140K in total credit limit. Amex 30k, BBVA 20K, Arrival+ (got in April) 20K, and several prime cards well over $10K. All are original CLs other than Amex.

What would be the earliest possibile time to request a CLI from Discover? How much can I expect? HP or SP? Thanks

Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: A bit shocked by Discover Credit Line!

Welcome to the Discover $1k club Smiley Happy   lol   I tried to get an increase to no avail.  Though I am sure my credit history is not the same as yours. 

Message 2 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

What was your score? Any derogs? I'm about to pull the trigger on a similar mailer. 

Message 3 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

What was your score? Any derogs? I'm about to pull the trigger on a similar mailer. 

700/663, forclosure in 2010.  They pulled EQ an EX for me, but I hear that isn't normal.  I applied via a prequal mailer. 

Message 4 of 37
vwgrrc
Regular Contributor

About 740-760 across all three. Perfect file.

Good luck!

@Anonymous wrote:

Message 5 of 37
aussiesareforever
Established Contributor

Discover is a "conservative lender". However, if you use the card often and well, they have generally been very liberal and generous with CLIs. I've had a 16K increase since last June, all have been soft pulls.

BK in January 2008---Barclay's Apple Financing Card ($10,000) --- Capital One Quicksilver ($13,000)--- Platinum Delta Skymiles ($35,000) --- GEMB CareCredit ($10,000) --- AUFCU ($10000)---Discover IT ($33,000)

Experian 835 Transunion 828-- August 2018
Message 6 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@aussiesareforever wrote:

Discover is a "conservative lender". However, if you use the card often and well, they have generally been very liberal and generous with CLIs. I've had a 16K increase since last June, all have been soft pulls.

You don't even have to use it that much. I spend very little, and I've gone from $3K to $21,250.

Message 7 of 37
Berk
Established Contributor

That has not been my experience lately. I got my discover in 09 with a starting limit of 1.5K. When the first wave of "Discover LUV" craze was going on I went from a 10K limit to 25K in 6 months. Now I'm at 36.5K and all I do is pay my DirecTV and Netflix bill with it and use it for the occassional small BT. 

Message 8 of 37
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Berk wrote:

That has not been my experience lately. I got my discover in 09 with a starting limit of 1.5K. When the first wave of "Discover LUV" craze was going on I went from a 10K limit to 25K in 6 months. Now I'm at 36.5K and all I do is pay my DirecTV and Netflix bill with it and use it for the occassional small BT. 

I think they are conservative when it comes to initial CL,but once you have it for an year or so then you will get the sp CLI coming in like crazy. You an probably get an sp cli every quarter or so

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 9 of 37
CreditUnionFan
Valued Contributor

@vwgrrc wrote:

Just pulled the trigger on a Discover offer I repeatly received in mail. Instant approval for $1000. Really? $1000?

I have about $140K in total credit limit. Amex 30k, BBVA 20K, Arrival+ (got in April) 20K, and several prime cards well over $10K. All are original CLs other than Amex.

What would be the earliest possibile time to request a CLI from Discover? How much can I expect? HP or SP? Thanks

Discover usually limits their quarterly categories to $1500 per quarter. So, $1000 might actually work.

When you see the CLI link, Discover advertises that it may require a credit inquiry, but that they will let you know first. If you agree with what Discover grants, it's based on the most recent SP.

I was going to garden... Honest!
Message 10 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.