Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A card the shows the FICO score question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

A card the shows the FICO score question

Hello,

I have one credit card with NFCU and I wanted to get a card that will give me a credit score monthly or periodically if possible.  Not sure what type of card is recommended at this time.  A few months back when I read here alot the Discover IT card was recommended, is that still the case?

I am not certain of my true fico score.  My CK fako is TU 807, Exp 800 -- Not sure if that helps with my question but a monthly card that shows the true score would be nice to have.  I also plan on asking for a credit limit increase on my NFCU card should I wait until I apply with whatever card is recommended here?

Thanks for any help once again -- PS:  I do not travel or anything like that.  I pay bills, gas for the car, shop and pay off fast if that matters.

Doh

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: A card the shows the FICO score question

Many of the CCs now offer a FICO from one of the CRAs.  DiscoverIT is a good card to start with.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 10
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

Many of the CCs now offer a FICO from one of the CRAs.  DiscoverIT is a good card to start with.

99% of them are all TU scores , LOL.. Seriously..would it hurt a lender to give and EQ or EX score? hahaha 

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pizza1 wrote:

@Shogun wrote:

99% of them are all TU scores , LOL.. Seriously..would it hurt a lender to give and EQ or EX score? hahaha 

AMEX gives EX. 

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

I have one credit card with NFCU and I wanted to get a card that will give me a credit score monthly or periodically if possible.  Not sure what type of card is recommended at this time.  A few months back when I read here alot the Discover IT card was recommended, is that still the case?

I am not certain of my true fico score.  My CK fako is TU 807, Exp 800 -- Not sure if that helps with my question but a monthly card that shows the true score would be nice to have.  I also plan on asking for a credit limit increase on my NFCU card should I wait until I apply with whatever card is recommended here?

Thanks for any help once again -- PS:  I do not travel or anything like that.  I pay bills, gas for the car, shop and pay off fast if that matters.

Doh

@Courtesy of @Themanwhocan <3

Message 5 of 10
NoAnchoviesPlease
Established Contributor

• Amex gives you Experian FICO08
  • Discover gives you Trans-Union FICO08
  • Barclay gives you Trans-Union 
  • First Bankcard/FNBO gives you Experian FICO08
  • Capital One gives you Trans-Union New Account Score (not FICO08) -- check out the Credit Tracker
  • Citi has an Equifax score, not sure which one
  • DCU gives Equifax

That's what I've seen in the last couple of months. Apologies in advance for any errors. 

You might find it worthwhile to get a three-bureau report with scores, whether from MyFICO or a CRA, before applying for another card or a CLI. This will give you a good sense of what they might look at and see. MyFICO offers multiple scores, so you can see the FICO08 and (for some CRAs) the Bankcard scores. 

Note that some of the CRAs offer "credit scores" that are not FICO scores and may well not be used by anyone for anything (I'm looking at you, Equifax). You can also use AnnualCreditReport.com to get free reports once a year, and some of them (as I recall) let you upgrade to a score. Read carefully about what score they offer, if any, 

12/29/2015 669/696/706
01/10/2016 698/711/730 but still to and fro a bit

Climbing to 700 and beyond. It's too cold for gardening.
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NoAnchoviesPlease wrote:
  • Amex gives you Experian FICO08
  • Discover gives you Trans-Union FICO08
  • Barclay gives you Trans-Union 
  • First Bankcard/FNBO gives you Experian FICO08
  • Capital One gives you Trans-Union New Account Score (not FICO08) -- check out the Credit Tracker
  • Citi has an Equifax score, not sure which one
  • DCU gives Equifax

That's what I've seen in the last couple of months. Apologies in advance for any errors. 

You might find it worthwhile to get a three-bureau report with scores, whether from MyFICO or a CRA, before applying for another card or a CLI. This will give you a good sense of what they might look at and see. MyFICO offers multiple scores, so you can see the FICO08 and (for some CRAs) the Bankcard scores. 

Note that some of the CRAs offer "credit scores" that are not FICO scores and may well not be used by anyone for anything (I'm looking at you, Equifax). You can also use AnnualCreditReport.com to get free reports once a year, and some of them (as I recall) let you upgrade to a score. Read carefully about what score they offer, if any, 

First "Bankcard" gives FICO 8 EX Bankcard. See the correlation there? Smiley Tongue

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Excellent thank you for the great tips.   I will save that list you provided as well

Thank you again

Doh

Message 8 of 10
NoAnchoviesPlease
Established Contributor

Monoglot wrote:

First "Bankcard" gives FICO 8 EX Bankcard. See the correlation there? Smiley Tongue

Yup, and Citi is located in a city. More than one, even. 

Don't mistake correlation, or coincidence (which this likely is), with causation. Smiley Happy Good clarification nonetheless. 

12/29/2015 669/696/706
01/10/2016 698/711/730 but still to and fro a bit

Climbing to 700 and beyond. It's too cold for gardening.
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NoAnchoviesPlease wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yup, and Citi is located in a city. More than one, even. 

Don't mistake correlation, or coincidence (which this likely is), with causation. Smiley Happy Good clarification nonetheless. 

It was a joke (hence the toungue emoti) but ok. 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.