Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A few Amex questions

tag
SwedishChef

A few Amex questions

Hello everyone!

Long time lurker here. You all are to thank for my recent credit successes. So Id like to start by saying Thank You to everyone on the board.

I just have a few questions:

1.) What date is the date that Amex uses to determine your member since date? Issue date?

I applied for Amex HHonors card on 12/20. Initially declined. After a successful recon I was approved and issued a card. However, the card says  member since 13 and so does the online account. Card agreement date 12/27. I called Amex and the rep told me that although the issue date was 12/31/12 because I could not use the card in 2012 I was not a member since 2012. Is this correct? I plan on calling back later in the week to get a different rep. As that reasoning doesn't quite make sense. Please correct me if I am wrong.

2.) Have you heard of a 30 day CLI from Amex before?

When I reconned the rep told me that I could apply for a CLI in 30 days. He said use the card for 30 days see if you like it and you can call back and ask for a CLI. Everything I have read indicates a 61 day wait for a CLI. Has anyone heard of this before?

3.) When does Amex report your balances?
I am just a little unclear on this. I don't plan to carry a balance but would like to know how soon after the statement closing date will the balance be seen on the Credit reports.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Amex updated my account to reflect 2012 join date

Börk Börk Börk!
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: A few Amex questions

1) if you apply late in december you risk getting a next year member date. You can keep calling and asking but I dont know if they'll change it.

2) CLI I've heard of is the 61 day 3x cli. I wouldnt request a cli before then, that seems to be when to do it. People sometimes get denied if they do it on day 59 or 60.

3) not sure about this one, most creditors report within a couple days of the statement, with the exception of the first one. Some lenders take a long time to initially report the account.
Message 2 of 10
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Get another Rep with a full knowdledge about Amex system.

Look like he doesnt really know what he told u...

PS: Will you share with us how you recon with Amex ????

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 3 of 10
SwedishChef

Sure.

No prior relationship with Amex. HHonors is my first card with them. I tore up my denial letter so I dont remember the specific reasons. Although it was really similar to someone elses reasons that were posted. I will see if I can find it. Anyway they cited Experian as what they pulled. They said my score was 687 (sorry dont remember the exact number) Also that my utilization was high.

I pulled my Experian and saw that the score said 716 and that according to that Credit report it Utilization was 9.7%. I faxed in my credit report and two days later it was approved.(Called in before to recon and the first rep wouldnt even talk to me about a recon)

Reasons for denial

FIco score (687)

Length of time accounts have been established

Proportion of loan balances to loan amounts is too high

Proportion of revolving balances to revlovling credit limits is too high

Edit: No second hard pull after the recon. (Everything done on that initial hard pull)

Börk Börk Börk!
Message 4 of 10
SwedishChef

@jsucool76 wrote:
1) if you apply late in december you risk getting a next year member date. You can keep calling and asking but I dont know if they'll change it.

2) CLI I've heard of is the 61 day 3x cli. I wouldnt request a cli before then, that seems to be when to do it. People sometimes get denied if they do it on day 59 or 60.

3) not sure about this one, most creditors report within a couple days of the statement, with the exception of the first one. Some lenders take a long time to initially report the account.

Thanks I will just wait for the 61 day mark. Just odd to hear 30 days (he even put me on hold to check) when you have been reading 61. I am going to keep trying for the '12 member since.

Börk Börk Börk!
Message 5 of 10
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Börk Börk Börk!

Did they pull all three ??? What credit limit they start you with ???

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 6 of 10
SwedishChef

Just pulled Experian as far as I know. No SW alert.  1k limit. I tried to ask for a higher limit and thats when he told me the 30 day thing mentioned above. I will wait on that though.

Edit: Hit TU as well.

Börk Börk Börk!
Message 7 of 10
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Yes, I have read a few threads here in December warning people to wait until Jan for max backdating or new customers to apply early december for 2012 member date, or chance being issued a 13' card.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 8 of 10
jake619
Frequent Contributor

I'd keep on Amex for the 2012 date.  The Executive Office is a great place to begin this - I'd stop wasting time with level 1 clowns.  The EO has twice been nothing but stellar with my requests, both times Next Day Air FedExing my new cards (one for backdate correction and the other for ExpressPay chip).

Message 9 of 10
SwedishChef

Just an Update:

After being told no over the phone. I sent a secure message and Amex came through. My online account has been updated to 2012 and a new card is on its way!

Börk Börk Börk!
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.