Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A few data points on statement credit cashback reward option for PACU MCs

tag
galahad15
Valued Contributor

A few data points on statement credit cashback reward option for PACU MCs

FYI:  in case it might be of any help to anyone, I just wanted to share a few data points on the statement credit cashback rewards option for the PACU MC (i.e., with APR as low as 7.5% F), since I just had my first cashback reward credited to my account yesterday:

(1)  To redeem for the statement credit option, you must have at least $100 worth of rewards points to redeem for.  However, it is not in increments of $100; for example, you can redeem for any partial amount after you have accrued the initial $100 in rewards points.

(2)  In my case, I redeemed my rewards points for a statement credit of ~$107.  This was equal to ~11,200 points.  The redemption was originally requested on 12/4/2016, and was completed by PACU by 12/31/2016.  Please note that PACU states that it may take up to 45 calendar(?) days to process a statement credit redemption, although in this particular case, it ended up being 27 calendar days for me.

(3)  IME, PACU doesn't seem to mind if, after the rewards redemption, your account balance reflects a negative balance, as my rewards statement  credit amount exceeded the balance I had charged to the card account at the time.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: A few data points on statement credit cashback reward option for PACU MCs

@galahad15 wrote:

FYI:  in case it might be of any help to anyone, I just wanted to share a few data points on the statement credit cashback rewards option for the PACU MC (i.e., with APR as low as 7.5% F), since I just had my first cashback reward credited to my account yesterday:

(1)  To redeem for the statement credit option, you must have at least $100 worth of rewards points to redeem for.  However, it is not in increments of $100; for example, you can redeem for any partial amount after you have accrued the initial $100 in rewards points.

(2)  In my case, I redeemed my rewards points for a statement credit of ~$107.  This was equal to ~11,200 points.  The redemption was originally requested on 12/4/2016, and was completed by PACU by 12/31/2016.  Please note that PACU states that it may take up to 45 calendar(?) days to process a statement credit redemption, although in this particular case, it ended up being 27 calendar days for me.

(3)  IME, PACU doesn't seem to mind if, after the rewards redemption, your account balance reflects a negative balance, as my rewards statement  credit amount exceeded the balance I had charged to the card account at the time.

So it's about 0.95 cpp? Any way to improve that?

I don't have the card, it just seems a little odd to me that they go with about 0.95 cpp for cash, and not 0.7 or 1.0 or something.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 6
galahad15
Valued Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

I don't have the card, it just seems a little odd to me that they go with about 0.95 cpp for cash, and not 0.7 or 1.0 or something.

Hi, sorry I don't mean to ask a dumb question here or anything, but I'm not sure exactly how to calculate cpp values Smiley Embarassed Can you please elaborate for me just a  lil, on how those values are calculated?

From what I understand of the PACU MC rewards program, a person earns 1.5x rewards points per dollar spent, although based on the statement credit redemption amounts and values, I think in another thread, someone had indicated that the percentage earned in cashback amounts to approximately 1.4% on a mathematical basis?

Message 3 of 6
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@galahad15 wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

Hi, sorry I don't mean to ask a dumb question here or anything, but I'm not sure exactly how to calculate cpp values Smiley Embarassed Can you please elaborate for me just a  lil, on how those values are calculated?

From what I understand of the PACU MC rewards program, a person earns 1.5x rewards points per dollar spent, although based on the statement credit redemption amounts and values, I think in another thread, someone had indicated that the percentage earned in cashback amounts to approximately 1.4% on a mathematical basis?

We would like to say there are no dumb questions, but.....!

You said:  n my case, I redeemed my rewards points for a statement credit of ~$107.  This was equal to ~11,200 points

So 11,200 points were worth $107, so 1 point is worth  107/11,200 which gives ~ 0.95 cpp.

And then the `1.5 points you get for each $ spend is worth 1.5 * that, which comes to 1.44cents per $, so slightly less than a standard 1.5% card

Message 4 of 6
galahad15
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@galahad15 wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

We would like to say there are no dumb questions, but.....!

You said:  n my case, I redeemed my rewards points for a statement credit of ~$107.  This was equal to ~11,200 points

So 11,200 points were worth $107, so 1 point is worth  107/11,200 which gives ~ 0.95 cpp.

And then the `1.5 points you get for each $ spend is worth 1.5 * that, which comes to 1.44cents per $, so slightly less than a standard 1.5% card

Many thanks for the helpful info longtimelurker, I appreciate it!  Smiley Happy  

In response to the original question of if there's a way to get more value than 0.95 cpp, after researching the rewards catalog some more, it looks like, and if I am hopefully doing the math correctly, you can get up to 1.05 cpp (rounded to the nearest hundredth of a point) for redeeming for $100 restaraunt cards, b/c in these cases, 100 points are worth 9,541 points.  Whereas you can get 0.92 cpp for $25 restaurant gift cards, which are 2,723 points, and ~1 cpp for $50 restaurant gift cards, which are redeemeable at 4,996 points.  Apparently same redemption point values and at same dollar denominations for retail gift cards as well.

But ya it is kinda interesting in mho how they break out the exact cpp values...

Message 5 of 6
noobody
Established Contributor

But aren't those $25 restaurant gift cards you can get from website for around $20?
So .95cpp is not so bad after all.
EX819 1HP|TU797 1HP| EQ(Fico8 BankCard)841
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.