Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A few random questions...

tag
kimbia
Valued Member

A few random questions...

So now that I will be gardening for a while, I'm beginning to look at my credit cards to see how I can maximize my points return. I had three questions for you guys:

1. I have Chase Sapphire Preferred and Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard, both with a $95 AF that was waived for the first year. I fly AA a couple of times per year, usually with checked baggage, so, it only takes 2x RT flights to cover the AF. However, my flight and hotel choices are usually mixed, so that's one of the reasons I like the CSP. Therefore, should I cancel the Citi AAdvantage card next year? Will this hurt my chances at getting future Citi CC approvals?

2. CSP gets 1 point on non-travel and non-dining purchases, but I also have the Chase Freedom which, outside of the bonus categories, also gets 1 point on purchases. Is there any reasons I should be using the CF as my everyday card instead of the CSP?

3. I also have the AmEx BCE which has much better points earnings on everyday purchases, but my feeling is I should focus on getting Chase UR points and use the BCE for only the 3% categories. What do you guys think?

Thanks! Smiley Happy

Current Scores:EQ: 726 (07/13) | TU: 656 (03/13) | EX: 715 (07/13)
Goal Scores (2013): EQ: 750 | TU: 700 | EX: 730 - Last app: 11 May 2013 - Done apping for the foreseeable future
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

Re: A few random questions...

@kimbia wrote:

So now that I will be gardening for a while, I'm beginning to look at my credit cards to see how I can maximize my points return. I had three questions for you guys:

1. I have Chase Sapphire Preferred and Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard, both with a $95 AF that was waived for the first year. I fly AA a couple of times per year, usually with checked baggage, so, it only takes 2x RT flights to cover the AF. However, my flight and hotel choices are usually mixed, so that's one of the reasons I like the CSP. Therefore, should I cancel the Citi AAdvantage card next year? Will this hurt my chances at getting future Citi CC approvals?

2. CSP gets 1 point on non-travel and non-dining purchases, but I also have the Chase Freedom which, outside of the bonus categories, also gets 1 point on purchases. Is there any reasons I should be using the CF as my everyday card instead of the CSP?

3. I also have the AmEx BCE which has much better points earnings on everyday purchases, but my feeling is I should focus on getting Chase UR points and use the BCE for only the 3% categories. What do you guys think?

Thanks! Smiley Happy

1. If you really want to cancel a card to avoid the AF go ahead and close the AAdvantage card. Will not hurt your chances getting another Citi card as long as your scores and other important stuff stays good. Lots of people churn Citi AA cards with 6 months to a year between. You could get the AA Visa later, if they ask tell them you wanted the Visa version and are flying AA more frequently. 

2. Because the CSP is a nicer looking card. Smiley Wink

3. Load up on UR points is just my opinion. 

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.