Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A good reason to check into the Concord center

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

A good reason to check into the Concord center

I have been trying to get a HELOC but I kept getting turned down and after getting the rejection letters in the mail the reason on all of them were to many credit card. So I called up a couple of banks hoping I could change there minds but it was a no go. The 2 banks that I talked to said the number of open accounts is 1 of the things that they look at when someone is apping for any loan. I have my home insurance thru Nation Wide so they sent me a letter basically saying I'm preapproved for any loan I wanted. So I went for the HELOC & 1 of their CC's. I got the HELOC but was turned down for the CC. A rep called me and told me I was turned down for the CC because of to many open accounts. I know some won't agree with this but I'm about to close all of my credit cards except 5 and 2 store cards. I currently have 12 CC's and 3 store cards. Chase, Amex, Patelco, Hooters, Cap1, care credit r all getting the axe this weekend. Might keep the Hooters.
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
score_building
Senior Contributor

Re: A good reason to check into the Concord center

keep hooters over patelco?  nah.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 2 of 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

12 accounts and that's to many??? I'm in serious trouble. lol
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

---------------------------------------------------------

I'm getting rid of patelco because they do not give CLI'S unless you call and ask and it's always a hard. I got EX on ice because it seems that's where i'm getting hit with so many INQ trying for  CLI's. I finally got them to give me an increase because I only had 5 INQ on EX in the last year. Now I gotta fax some info over 2 them. not worth it. I don't like that fact that u can open a CD, checking r saving with no problem but when u ask for an CLI all the sudden they want u to fax them this and that.

Message 4 of 11
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@score_building wrote:

I agree. Hooter's is sub prime Patelco is not. They're only asking you for paystubs right? All the credit unions do that.

Message 5 of 11
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I have been trying to get a HELOC but I kept getting turned down and after getting the rejection letters in the mail the reason on all of them were to many credit card. So I called up a couple of banks hoping I could change there minds but it was a no go. The 2 banks that I talked to said the number of open accounts is 1 of the things that they look at when someone is apping for any loan. I have my home insurance thru Nation Wide so they sent me a letter basically saying I'm preapproved for any loan I wanted. So I went for the HELOC & 1 of their CC's. I got the HELOC but was turned down for the CC. A rep called me and told me I was turned down for the CC because of to many open accounts. I know some won't agree with this but I'm about to close all of my credit cards except 5 and 2 store cards. I currently have 12 CC's and 3 store cards. Chase, Amex, Patelco, Hooters, Cap1, care credit r all getting the axe this weekend. Might keep the Hooters.

You got the HELOC with all those open credit cards right? So why would you close any cards?

Message 6 of 11
moondog7324
Frequent Contributor

What is the purpose of closing cards? To qualify for more cards?

If you are weeding out cards i would do it in this order:

1) Any cards that charge a fee

2) Any cards with a credit limit <1000

3) Cards < than 1 year old.

4) Name recoginition- if things equal I would keep a Chase card over a Hooters or Crap1 o r Target

You need to quit applying- shoot for zero inquiries for the rest of the year.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is what they asked for

• Provide a current paycheck stub or other proof of income for all applicant(s)
  • Provide proof of residence address: mortgage coupon/statement, rental/lease agreement, or utility bill

They don't like u to have a lot of INQ's when u apply for anything but they hit u with a hard everytime u ask for a CLI. Plus I don't want to pay to be in the rewards program.

I'm closing some of my cards that I got when I 1st starting rebuilding my credit. Low limits cards and the 1's with no rewards. 1st it went from using your sock drawer cards every 6 Months to every 3 Months and now once per Month. I think eventually they will start closing accounts with little use and I rather have on my reports that I closed them. I normally only carry small balances so it shouldn't hurt my scores to much right now. I'll close 1 to 2 of them every 2 Months. I think if u start off with bad credit some of these banks still see u as a high risk even though your scores go up and you're with them for years. I just think the less cards I have to deal with the more money I can put towards the reward cards I like and I'm happy with.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I only apllied for Nation Wide's CC becuase It's gonna be 1 of my main banks and also to make up for some of the CL I'm gonna loose from closing some of my other cards. I actually don't want anymore CC's. I got 5 cards that I use and want to keep. A low limit card with no rewards is basically helping a bank make money without u getting anything in return.
Message 9 of 11
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

As long as you've read Closing Credit Cards, and you've thought everything through, this isn't necessarily bad.

I'd take it slowly, though. Have you projected out ten years from now to see what will happen with both your oldest credit history and your AAoA?

I'm doing some pruning, too, but veeeeeerrrrrrry slowly. For one thing, I haven't the slightest idea which of my CCC's might still be in business by the end of the year. Smiley Very Happy
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.