cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A little annoyed.. Anticipated CL from Discover did not come..

tag
theNavigator
Regular Contributor

A little annoyed.. Anticipated CL from Discover did not come..

Would getting a new car loan affect that? I should've gotten a CLI.. But I didn't. Ugh!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Re: A little annoyed.. Anticipated CL from Discover did not come..

Hi, theNavigator!

Sorry about the denial, I think things have to normalize again for a few months (after the new laws on 2/22) .  I don't know how the auto financing may have affected this, perhaps a DTI thing or maybe multiple inquiries?   Or maybe it's just a sign of the times right now, and has nothing to do with you personally.  Discover's conservative and always has been.

What method for requesting a CLI did you use...the automated phone option?  Or was this an automatic CLI that you expected, but did not get?

When was the last time you asked for an increase from them?  They seem to follow the "minimum six months between CLIs" pattern, unless other account terms were in play for yours.

Message 2 of 6
DI
Super Contributor

@theNavigator wrote:

Would getting a new car loan affect that? I should've gotten a CLI.. But I didn't. Ugh!

If you were expecting to receive a CLI every three months like I do, it's not always guaranteed to happen.  Since the opening my account 7/09, I received a CLI  every 3 months.  My next increase should come 4/6.   It's possible the new car loan  may have played a factor in Discover's decision to not give you a CLI.  Has anything else change on your reports since your last increase?  The only thing I can see to possibly keep one from getting a CLI is that the card may have lacked use, something new and something negative appears on one's reports. 

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got my Discover 9/07 $3,000 jun/08 cli to $3,800 10/09 cli to 4,800 and after the first month I only use it cash and promotions
Message 4 of 6
theNavigator
Regular Contributor

No, it was the automatic 3 month.. But it's okay I'll get over it.. I PIF the first 2 months but this 3rd month only paid 1/3 of balance..

Message 5 of 6
score_building
Senior Contributor

@theNavigator wrote:

No, it was the automatic 3 month.. But it's okay I'll get over it.. I PIF the first 2 months but this 3rd month only paid 1/3 of balance..

almost any lender would deem a payment of 1/3 outstanding balance as excellent+.  I doubt this was an issue.

many may disagree but I think it is better to mix it up a bit (paying some marginal interest on a small bal occassionally) so that it doesn't look like a major pattern change, if, after PIF for 5 years straight you carry a balance once for the first time and boom they freak out, YMMV.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.