cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A little sad to be saying goodbye to Capital One...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: A little sad to be saying goodbye to Capital One...

@MoreInfo1 wrote:

They approved me for my second (and third) credit card when I was still in college and stuck by me during rough times. Therefore, I also stuck by them and had checking and savings accounts with them, opened savings accounts for all my kids with them and my investment account also landed with them in the end.

I had the two platinum cards with them for over 10 years, and was okay with them only giving me small CLIs. I was happy when I tried to PC to QS for both cards and was told I had an offer for it and they'd do that so I would no longer have to pay an AF ($39 and $59 respectively). Lo and behold, when the time came, I was still charged the AFs. When I called to ask, I was told it was pc'd to a QS1, which still has an AF. I tried to explain what I was told previously to no avail. So, I tried to get them to waive the fee for at least one of them and explained my great history with them including all the accounts I had with them...to no avail either. Tired of paying for the fees year after year, I closed both accounts before the AF hit in November 2014 (fees were scheduled to come out in December).

My score didn't drop- AAOA was hardly affected and I had a few other good cards already. I didn't feel a loss...until I read about the high CLs being given with the Venture. Recently, I thought, "Why not? I still have 8 other variety of accounts with them, getting back on their cards will be okay". So, with itchy fingers, I applied...and was denied for too many inquiries (4 with TU all over 12 mos, 4 with EX all over 12 mos and 10 with EQ with 5 recent from auto shopping/joining CUs/ccs from CUs). Granted my scores were only 693 EQ, 703 EX and 729 TU and I had no baddies, mind you, but oh well- it is what it is.

My lingering feelings have come to a slow death and I will be closing all my accounts. Capital One 360 was my go-to savings account, but I will be transferring it all to DCU and/or NFCU. It is a good thing that I can adapt well to changes- maybe I should have done this sooner.

But anyhow, thanks for reading my long story and good luck with Capital One, whether you are trying to get in, stay in or get out!

Sorry to hear about this because it sounds like you've been a good customer.  I'm restarting my credit journey and I have a secured card with them  and I don't see myself as moving up to the $10K + limits with Capital One someday.  Don't get me wrong-I'm grateful for them for lending to me and helping me to get back on my feet, but I feel that they will always see me as a subprime member no matter how much my score might grow in the future.  Maybe it is easier to enter their prime cards market when your at the top, not working your way from the bottom.  You've got a good profile.  I know that you will do great with other lenders.  You've taught me a valuable lesson not to put all my eggs in one basket and to remember to diversify.  DCU and NFCU seem to be good companies.  I'm beginning a journey with SDFCU slowly as my scores rise.  Maybe a year or year and a half I be able to utilize some of their products.  Thank you for sharing your story with us and reminding us that we are all transitory.

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MoreInfo1 wrote:

I think I may be blacklisted with them for whatever reason but it's ok. I wish they would stop sending me preapprovals if they're going to deny me though.

I don't have any hard feelings toward them; they served their purpose with me as I'm sure I did with them. We both (Capital One and I) have to view it in our own business perspective. 

Well the good news is that even if you are blacklisted right now, it will be short lived. Capital One is the most forgiving lender out there. Maybe wait til your closed accounts hit the 1 year mark since closing and try again. Many of us had previous unpaid charge offs with them and they let us back in.

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MoreInfo1 wrote:

I think I may be blacklisted with them for whatever reason but it's ok. I wish they would stop sending me preapprovals if they're going to deny me though.

I don't have any hard feelings toward them; they served their purpose with me as I'm sure I did with them. We both (Capital One and I) have to view it in our own business perspective. 

You get pre-approvals?  For which products? Did you get a Venture Pre-Approval or a QS pre-approval?

Message 13 of 15
MoreInfo1
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@MoreInfo1 wrote:

You get pre-approvals?  For which products? Did you get a Venture Pre-Approval or a QS pre-approval?

I received preapprovals for the Venture,  Venture 1 and QS. I was getting them in the mail a few times a month each month for a while now. 

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MoreInfo1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@MoreInfo1 wrote:

I received preapprovals for the Venture,  Venture 1 and QS. I was getting them in the mail a few times a month each month for a while now. 

I go on the prequal  site, plug in my information, and am qualified for the secured card (LOL!).  I plan to use those 3 hard pulls in the future for BCE, Salliemae, and who ever is good with EQ or I'll aim for BBVA Clearpoints.  Only have 4 Inqs for TU, but that is definitely down the road.  Know we will see your name in the approvals section very soon. 

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.