cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A long-winded post about Navy Federal followed by seven questions.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

A long-winded post about Navy Federal followed by seven questions.

Disclaimer: I hope you didn't think this would be a quick answer, otherwise you are about to be severly dissapointed. Smiley Wink

During the first week of April, I will be asking Navy Federal for $2,500. I am having trouble deciding whether I should apply for a new card, a NavCheck account, or just a straight up CLI. Here is what I am thinking:

If I applied for a new card then it would most likely be the Cash Rewards card. While Navy Federal is a great bank, I already have a Visa Platinum with them and I don't want to low my average account age. I might consider doing so if I were offered the Flagship card, but that isn't going to happen.

As for a NavCheck account, I applied for one at the beginning of February and was denied. I was being stupid when I applied because my mom had just moved from a secured card to a non-secured card and I thought it would be worth applying for a NavCheck account. At the time, my utilization was 102%. Again, I was being stupid.

It seems to me that the best thing to do is ask for a CLI. I hear Navy Federal prefers to increase credit limits rather than give new cards and a card with a higher limit will make me look more desirable to other banks down the road. On top of that, I won't be lowering my average account age, which is only 11 months at this point anyways.

Since applying for the NavCheck account, I have paid down my balances as best as I could manage. I paid my Navy Federal Visa Platinum down from 100% to 30% and that also dropped my total utilization from 102% to 80%. When Navy Federal posted to Equifax today, I saw an 18 point increase. Now, don't get me wrong, that is great and all, but I am still sub-600 according to Equifax (I hear that is who Navy pulls from for credit cards).

Current cards:

Capital One Platinum w/ $1500 CL (balance is $1624, this will be paid down to at least $1500 on Friday).

Capital One Cash Rewards w/ $500 CL (balance is $474).

Navy Federal Visa Platinum w/ $1000 CL (balance is $300).

Total: $2398 / $3000 = 79.93% util

Here is my giant list of questions:

1) Where do I stand the best chance of acceptance? Re-applying for NavCheck, asking for a new card, or requesting a CLI?

2) How does NFCU feel about high utilizations? My mom recently was approved for an unsecured card with a limit of $2,200 after having a secured card with a limit of $500 for a year. The card was maxed out almost the entire time.

3) Is it true that Navy cares more about there own cards than cards at another bank? Someone told me this and that is part of the reason I am paying down my Navy Federal card first.

4) What documents should I have prepared should they be requested?

5) I work in a commissioned sales environment and this time of year is slow. If Navy asks for my last two pay stubs, it won't reflect my true income. What can I do about this?

6) If I make a payment on one of my cards and apply for more credit before the payment shows up on my report, is there anything I can do to show Navy Federal that my utilization has gone down?

7) I want to be prepared for the possiblity that I will be declined because I plan on reconning. It is my undestanding the Navy Federal doesn't technically do reconsiderations, but I keep reading about sending a secured message through my online account. How do I do this? What should I include? I have never asked for a reconsideration before and would probably mention that, while I run a high utilization, I also pay way more than the minimum every month (usually $100-300 every two weeks). Furthermore, having dropped my utilization and continuing to do so, I believe that I have proven that I am not a risk. I would like to re-finance my car loan through Navy Federal next year and so I would like to build a stronger relationship. Lastly, a higher credit limit will drop my overall utilization, increasing my credit score and making it possible for us to do more business later on down the road.

I am sure there is something that I've forgotten, so I may come back to edit this later. If you took the time to read this far, I want you to know that I appreciate you doing so and look forward to hearing what you have to say. I have been in a situation recently where I am unhappy with my current job and the way I have been treated. It has made me realize the importance of having a reasonably sized savings account that can be used for living expenses. It is very important to me that I be in a situation where I don't have to hang on to a job I hate just to pay my bills. The biggest step in making this happen is by lowering my bills and debts, and I am working on making that happen. The next step is improving my credit so that, in the event I need the money, it is there. Thanks again. Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
jdirilo
Frequent Contributor

Re: A long-winded post about Navy Federal followed by seven questions.

Well that was a novel. Haha jk!
I won't be as detailed as you, but I will share my experience with nfcu. In Sept I became a member and got the nrewards $500 limit. At one point I was t about $750 because stupid wf screwed up a transfer. Anyway. After a couple months I paid it down to about $340 and last week decided to try a cli and requested $1000. Got the 1 day message and the next day approved. Then the next day I asked for another increase to $2500, got the 3-5 day message, and within an hour was approved. That same day I applied for cash rewards and was denied, so I reconned via message thru ny account and have yet to hear back. I'm not going to ask for any more increases for at least three months. I was shocked to be approved at all. My EQ fico is 519, TU is 600 I think.EX about 580.
Message 2 of 22
jdirilo
Frequent Contributor

And also, I hated my job too and just decided to quit. Keep in mind I have three kids 4 and under, 6 months pregnant, and my husband only works pt earning only tips. But I knew I wasn't happy, so I took a leap and don't regret it. Everything always works out as ling as you keep a positive attitude.
Message 3 of 22
jdirilo
Frequent Contributor

Long*
Message 4 of 22
starry1
Valued Contributor

I think asking for anything from anyone with sub 600 scores plus maxed out cards is a bad idea.  I think getting your util down below 50% should be your first step.

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 5 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jdirilo

That makes me feel a little better. Smiley Happy

I have considered sending my 2012 tax statements to Navy Federal as a way to show my annual income. I was hired on May 15th last year and, according to my tax statements, I made approx $15,000. Basic logic says that my annual income is approximately $30,000. I have heard of people with far larger incomes getting denied. If you don't mind me asking, what is your income? Did Navy Federal request verification? I have my direct deposit set up with them, so I doubt they will.

@starry1

I am working on that and, with a little luck, that should happen by May. The problem is that I have to make my request at the beginning of April because, if approved, I will be moving to California to join App Academy (appacademy.io) and will need to give my current employer my two weeks notice. I have already been accepted into App Academy, I just have to have a means of living while I am there.

Message 6 of 22
dodfire
Valued Contributor

Do not apply for anything.....Get your UTL down. 

*8/10/13
Message 7 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jdirilo

I think I have a slight advantage on you. I am 20, single, and have no kids. Smiley Tongue My "bills" would make some people fall into a fit of uncontrollable laughter.

Message 8 of 22
jdirilo
Frequent Contributor

Well lucky you!! You probably don't have nearly as many bills to worry about as I do Smiley Happy But its just life, no need to stress!

Nfcu has never asked to verify my employment or income. When I became a member, I had a different job, I don't remember them calling to verify or anything. When I asked for the increase, I put the name of my new employer because I start a new job on Monday. I googled the phone number and they didn't ask for length of employment or pay stubs. I'll be making about 27000 a year.
Message 9 of 22
jdirilo
Frequent Contributor

and I don't have direct deposit with them anymore. I was doing it for a few months , just $50 a month. But they don't have a local branch where I.live so it wasn't really convenient to bank with them. I joined a local CU which has been amazing with refinancing my auto loans, cutting interest in half and lowering payments. But I'm not ready to get a cc with them yet. Just a fewmore months Smiley Happy
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.