Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A small group of strategic apps

tag
BoysMumx2
Frequent Contributor

A small group of strategic apps

With the all clear from my mortgage loan officer now that our deal is completely done, I did a little bit of strategic apping this evening:

1) BofA - submitted online request for CLI, currently $1000 - asked for $5000, which is in same ballpark as my other two cards ($5000 WF and $4800 Chase).  Got message to call, so will call tomorrow when they are open.

2) Responded to the Citi Diamond Preferred preapproval for the 0% BT/purch for 18 months.  They need a copy of my utility bill showing the new address, but the weird thing is that everything else sounded like approval, including the way the rep chatted with me.  Hmm....

3) AMEX Zync, with Home Pack.  I want the in with AMEX because next Jan I'm applying for the BCP for the grocery and gas rewards.  Got the message to call in, so will call in the morning.  I have applied to them 2 times in the last 5 years and each time it was an instant decline, so even if it's ultimately declined, it's a nice feeling to have them ask me to call. 

My income is good.  My mortgage/housing payment is good.  And my scores have come a LONG way!  I have INQs and that is likely what AMEX will want to discuss, but I'm fully prepared due to school and mortgage.  Not sure how it will all come out, but I have a tiny bit more confidence these days.  Once I'm through this, it's in to the garden for me for some quiet time.  Smiley Very Happy

Starting Score: EQ 622, TU 676, EX 643 (mtg lender pulls) 2/1/12
Current Score: EQ 743, TU 775 (6/18 MyFico), EX 722 (per CITI approval letter 6/29/12 pull)
Goal Score: New goal: 760+ on all 3

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Re: A small group of strategic apps

Probably need to do address verification on all your apps as I am assuming you are using your new home address.
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 2 of 14
BoysMumx2
Frequent Contributor

@Crashem wrote:
Probably need to do address verification on all your apps as I am assuming you are using your new home address.

You are exactly correct!!  So here is my update, for what it is worth at this point:  BofA CLI was approved and no, I never did call in - much like others have posted on here.  My new CL was showing when I logged in this morning.  Faxed over the utility bill showing the new address for CITI and will follow up with them later today...  do they have a way to check online?  The way the rep spoke, it appeared they just needed to confirm address to send out card.  I don't know if CITI is always that "positive" in talking to those who are apping, so I have no point of comparison.

I called AMEX, per their instructions and yep, it was the address (good call there).  I confirmed I was calling from the number they can trace to me via credit report, so the rep was going to call me back but... I waited for 40 minutes, then called back due to no call yet - their system was down.  I'll have to check back in with them later.  Has anyone had this cause issues with their application?  That was the only thing he mentioned, so it's looking very positive except for the system crashing. 

Current Score: EQ 743, TU 775 (6/18 MyFico), EX 722 (per CITI approval letter 6/29/12 pull)

Message 3 of 14
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Address issues come up all the time, so Amex probably has the same problem as Citi did... it's a basic fraud prevention issue; however, look at it this way, if they were going to outright deny you because of your report, why take the time to do address verification anyway?  That would just waste the CSR's and other people's time for a non-starter... ergo, it's a reasonable assumption that address verification is one of the absolute last steps to clear underwriting a new card.

        
Message 4 of 14
Crashem
Valued Contributor

I hope you got interest rate your current scores demand vs your starting score on your signature line for your mortgages. Might want to chill and get scores to 760+ and refi at top tier credit in 6 months to 1 year.
Message 5 of 14
BoysMumx2
Frequent Contributor

That's how I'm taking it too.  It seems like a lot of work if they aren't going to approve.  If both CITI and AMEX approve, that will be a 3 for 3 approval.  I've never had that happen before!  Actually, I'm glad they take the time to do the address verification.  I can handle extra security any day!

One other question for those who know....  I've seen some post that they've done two AMEX approvals back to back.  What kind of time-frame does that work in?  I really want the BCP for general household spending each month (the math bears this out), but I'm a bit nervous about apping - hence the wimpy approach by going for Zync first.  I'm totally good with gardening the Zync and apping for BCP in January 2013, but thought I'd check here before I stay wimpy.

Message 6 of 14
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Sounds like this is first Amex. If you app now, you will probably save an inquiry, but given address verification you will probably have two. If both inquiries on ex, you can call experian and get one removed as dupe. However I would not recommend this. Wait till jan 2013 so your hopefully new Amex bce/p will be reported as open in jan 2012. To my mind, the extra backdating offsets the extra inquiry you will take then. Inquiry effects are fairly short lived, but the extra aaoa stays with you.
Message 7 of 14
BoysMumx2
Frequent Contributor

@Crashem wrote:
I hope you got interest rate your current scores demand vs your starting score on your signature line for your mortgages. Might want to chill and get scores to 760+ and refi at top tier credit in 6 months to 1 year.

I'll update once I know the interest rates I receive on the cards.  My Chase (open since 2008) is at a great rate.  My mortgage loan rate was 4.0%, plus I got the mortgage credit certificate program (seller paid) which provides a tax credit each year of the loan.  I've already told DH that we have such a good rate, we won't ever be able to sell! Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 14
BoysMumx2
Frequent Contributor

@Crashem wrote:
Sounds like this is first Amex. If you app now, you will probably save an inquiry, but given address verification you will probably have two. If both inquiries on ex, you can call experian and get one removed as dupe. However I would not recommend this. Wait till jan 2013 so your hopefully new Amex bce/p will be reported as open in jan 2012. To my mind, the extra backdating offsets the extra inquiry you will take then. Inquiry effects are fairly short lived, but the extra aaoa stays with you.

Thanks, that reinforces what I thought would be the better plan.  And I app'd for the Zync with the Home pack, which suits our "stage" very nicely with the yard re-do we'll be working on.  I reasoned that it makes more sense to sit back and develop the business relationship with AMEX and then seek the card that will work very well for my family at a more optimal time. 

Message 9 of 14
BoysMumx2
Frequent Contributor

AMEX Zync was approved and is being sent via expedited delivery (they offered, I didn't request).  The CSR I spoke to was absolutely lovely and nice to talk with! 

So that means I'm 2 for 3 so far and Citi advised that they are processing the address verification documentation and I should hear within the next couple of days.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.