Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A trick for getting sign up bonus

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: A trick for getting sign up bonus

@kdm31091 wrote:

The subject says it all. This is a TRICK to get a sign up bonus. In my opinion, it's not a good idea to "trick" a company who is loaning you money. A credit card is still a form of loaning you money. And if you do something like this to get a bonus out of them, don't expect them to treat you well in the future. Please don't do this and then start a thread moaning about your account being closed. Many times (not always) it is because of things like this.

Sign up bonuses are created to reward legitimate spending, not spending like this. I don't understand the obsession with bonuses anyway. Yes, it's nice to get a free $400 when you open a new card. BUT that should not be a reason to open a new account. An account will stay on your report for years and years. I don't think you should clutter up your report with tons of accounts to get a couple hundred bucks for free. Yes, $400 or whatever is a lot of money, but it is also not life changing. Get a card for the long-term benefits. Don't always be focusing on the short-term benefits, i.e. the bonus. Get a card that suits you.

There are so many people on here who say "getting the CSP or Freedom for the awesome bonus!", etc, etc, etc, it is just so tiresome sometimes. If you have no use for the card otherwise, you don't need it. The company would prefer you not just sign up for the bonus anyway. They are enticing you to sign up, but they are also assuming you are going to get some legitimate benefit out of the card.

Well, this is all about perspective.   For some, getting rewards (both sign up and through use) IS really the whole point of getting credit cards.   Otherwise, use cash, or just get one cc.  And, the fact is that usually the bonus dwarfs what you get from usual spend, so getting bonuses is important

Yes, stuff stays on your CR, that's fine.  A lot of it will continue positive reporting, or add to AAoA, so tall is good.

Message 11 of 109
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

what i will add to this discussion is think about getting serve or RB that allows CC loads if you really need to meet min spend. 

I think that I had read that chase started charging Serve reloads as cash advances. Don't hold me to it though. 

i have used both csp and ink plus to load with no issues with cash advance. you get it originally but when it comes off pending you are fine. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 12 of 109
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey LTL, off topic, I just received my Target Redbird card.  Can anyone fill the card at Target or does it have to be because it's in my name?

Message 13 of 109
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey LTL, off topic, I just received my Target Redbird card.  Can anyone fill the card at Target or does it have to be because it's in my name?

Now seems to me YMMV. Earlier this month I loaded 3 cards, but there have been reports that some clerks at some Targets are insisting that the cc used matches the name on the Redcard.  Don't know if it means that these places wouldn't take Amex gift cards either.   Once Jan comes, I will try my stores and see...

Message 14 of 109
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Now seems to me YMMV. Earlier this month I loaded 3 cards, but there have been reports that some clerks at some Targets are insisting that the cc used matches the name on the Redcard.  Don't know if it means that these places wouldn't take Amex gift cards either.   Once Jan comes, I will try my stores and see...

I plan to do it with AMEX gift cards but I just hate going to stores and I was going to send my g/f instead :-)

Message 15 of 109
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That's dumb. What if someone wanted to load one for their kid or something. Or would that fly because of the same last name? 

Message 16 of 109
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I plan to do it with AMEX gift cards but I just hate going to stores and I was going to send my g/f instead :-)

OK, good experiment.  And if she can't because the clerk complains that her ID doesn't match the name on the card she can explain about her jerk BF sending her to the store with the wrong card!

Message 17 of 109
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That's dumb. What if someone wanted to load one for their kid or something. Or would that fly because of the same last name? 

I don't think it is real, but I will change my mind if it happens to me!    The first report was what someone was told my a Target cashier when the load failed.   Now in this situation, some will make up or half remember explanations to make sure the customer doesn't think it was the cashiers fault.   (It was stated that the CCs wanted this to stop people getting bonuses using other people's redcards) But a few others reported the same, while others have had no issues.

DOubt there would be a child exception, my kids don't have the same last name as me ("Lurker" would get them teased too much!)

Message 18 of 109
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't think it is real, but I will change my mind if it happens to me!    The first report was what someone was told my a Target cashier when the load failed.   Now in this situation, some will make up or half remember explanations to make sure the customer doesn't think it was the cashiers fault.   (It was stated that the CCs wanted this to stop people getting bonuses using other people's redcards) But a few others reported the same, while others have had no issues.

DOubt there would be a child exception, my kids don't have the same last name as me ("Lurker" would get them teased too much!)

I can't imagine anyone would ever do this...

Are you implying that people that work in the retail/customer service fields make stuff up to try to shift the blame and/or simply get rid of the customer who is difficult to deal with because the staff doesn't know what they're doing? 

Proposterous 

Message 19 of 109
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

OK, good experiment.  And if she can't because the clerk complains that her ID doesn't match the name on the card she can explain about her jerk BF sending her to the store with the wrong card!

Hah, she'll love it when I tell her your response.  She'll agree 100%

Message 20 of 109
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.