Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A trick for getting sign up bonus

tag
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: A trick for getting sign up bonus

If a customer started trying to walk me through something involving loading a card using credit, I would simply say I was uncomfortable with it because of the high amount of fraud and MS. You're right - MS is an issue for the CCC, not the company and certainly it doesn't personally affect me. But it still bothers me. The greed of people bothers me. Fradulent people bother me. It's still not right - even if it doesn't directly affect me, I don't feel right allowing it to go on right in front of me!

But I realize my experience isn't the norm. Most stores do require you to do whatever the customer wants, no matter what or how shady it is. I also understand that if my store had something like Redbird we obviously wouldn't be saying no. I'm lucky to be where I'm at. It makes me feel better to shut down scammers and stuff. This doesn't apply to shutting down legitimate gift card purchases or whatever.

Message 31 of 109
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

If a customer started trying to walk me through something involving loading a card using credit, I would simply say I was uncomfortable with it because of the high amount of fraud and MS. You're right - MS is an issue for the CCC, not the company and certainly it doesn't personally affect me. But it still bothers me. The greed of people bothers me. Fradulent people bother me. It's still not right - even if it doesn't directly affect me, I don't feel right allowing it to go on right in front of me!

But I realize my experience isn't the norm. Most stores do require you to do whatever the customer wants, no matter what or how shady it is. I also understand that if my store had something like Redbird we obviously wouldn't be saying no. I'm lucky to be where I'm at. It makes me feel better to shut down scammers and stuff. This doesn't apply to shutting down legitimate gift card purchases or whatever.

And what if people of the wrong race,religion and sexual orientation try to make a purchase?  Makes others uncomfortable too.

Message 32 of 109
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm, is it worth your job to judge others for MS?
Message 33 of 109
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I'm not judging them if its clear they are scammers. Has nothing to do with race or religion and you know it. Being uncomfortable with fraud is not the same.

I wouldn't lose my job. We're encouraged to stop scammers.
Message 34 of 109
Involver
Valued Contributor

It's neither fraud nor a scam, though.
Message 35 of 109
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Using cards to purchase gift cards to get rewards is kind of scamming the issuer. Anyway , I like everyone here and don't want to argue. I would never do it but if it works for you go ahead. You risk your card being closed. If that's OK go for it. But we can't debate the morality of it. There is no definite right or wrong answer. Do what works for you. I mean no disrespect to people who want to use loopholes to maximize rewards. I just don't and won't do it.
Message 36 of 109
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@Involver wrote:
It's neither fraud nor a scam, though.

It may not be fraud or a scam in the legal sense, but it's certainly against most card issuers' terms & conditions, which card holders agree to when they app.

Whether a retailer should step up and deny these transactions is of course a separate issue, but retailers have legitimate reasons to question any transaction that might be dicey. I'm not in retail myself, but I can understand why clerks on the line would be told to accept anything (for efficiency of getting customers through the line, if for no other reason) and I can also see why retail managers might be more vigilant about questioning dubious transactions.

Message 37 of 109
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:
Using cards to purchase gift cards to get rewards is kind of scamming the issuer. Anyway , I like everyone here and don't want to argue. I would never do it but if it works for you go ahead. You risk your card being closed. If that's OK go for it. But we can't debate the morality of it. There is no definite right or wrong answer. Do what works for you. I mean no disrespect to people who want to use loopholes to maximize rewards. I just don't and won't do it.

Do you work for JPM/Chase loss prevention or something? If not, you're essentially being a reverse Robin Hood. 

Message 38 of 109
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

Do you work for JPM/Chase loss prevention or something? If not, you're essentially being a reverse Robin Hood. 

is reverse robin hood sheriff of nottingham? :-)

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 39 of 109
Chaselover
Frequent Contributor

This thread is on the verge of going out of control. I think its time for mods to step in.Smiley Indifferent

In a committed relationship with Chase from 12/2012.
Age: 26, Income: $59,240/-, Current score: TU from CK: 750/A (12/24/14), TU Vantage score from CK: 775/C (12/24/14), Experian from Creditsesame: 717, Equifax from myfico: 724, Overall Util: 1% (12/24/14), Total credit limits: $62,150, In the garden from 12/19/2014, AAoA : 7 months, Oldest account: 8 months, Newest account: 1 week, HP: 18.
Message 40 of 109
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.