Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AA Advantage 50k vs USAirways 50k promo

tag
joedtx
Valued Contributor

AA Advantage 50k vs USAirways 50k promo

I am tempted to leave the garden for these offers with AA and UsAirways for the 50k points, Is it really worth it? What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 42
41 REPLIES 41
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: AA Advantage 50k vs USAirways 50k promo

@joedtx wrote:

I am tempted to leave the garden for these offers with AA and UsAirways for the 50k points, Is it really worth it? What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

I did get both of those cards and to me us airways is definately worth it all you are really paying is about 65 dollars for the AF, and all you need to do is spend 1 dollar in addition to the AF. For me i did both because i know i want to use those aa miles to transfer to Cathay for business class RT flight to BKK. You should look at how you want to spend your miles to see if its worth it for you

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 2 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@joedtx wrote:

Thanks!

Hate to punt but that's hard for us to tell you.  Do you travel often and fly those (soon to be one) airlines?  The offers are good, especially the soon to be US Air one, but they are of little use to someone that doesn't fly on those airlines.  Look at what you've done in the past and then decide if they fit your needs.  Don't apply just because they are out there because there are better multipurpose cards available.

Message 3 of 42
joedtx
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@joedtx wrote:

Thanks!

Hate to punt but that's hard for us to tell you.  Do you travel often and fly those (soon to be one) airlines?  The offers are good, especially the soon to be US Air one, but they are of little use to someone that doesn't fly on those airlines.  Look at what you've done in the past and then decide if they fit your needs.  Don't apply just because they are out there because there are better multipurpose cards available.

Sorry well for my travel needs both Airlines cover major destinations so on that its pretty much a stalemate, I was also looking at it from the merger perspective. I was just looking at the bonus plus any other insight others might share that could be helpful as well as who is really the preferred bank Citi or Barclays as well as other considerations.

Thanks!

Message 4 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got US Airways a few months back, and just got the Citi card for the extra 50k. 100k points for not much is great.

Message 5 of 42
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Dividend miles accts will be merged into AAdvantage accts in the next few weeks. I would grab that US Airways card now as it won't be offered to new applicants much longer. As others said it will be an easy 50k miles.
Message 6 of 42
Open123
Super Contributor

In my view, it's worth it.  If you app for US Air 50K and Citi 50k, you'll have 100K AA post merger.  

Message 7 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

apply while you can! do eeeeeeeeet!

when I was standing in line for checkout at safeway, a kid standing behind me saw my card and said "wow! cool! mom, look! her card's got an airplane!" Smiley LOL

Message 8 of 42
onstar
Established Contributor

@B335is wrote:
Dividend miles accts will be merged into AAdvantage accts in the next few weeks. I would grab that US Airways card now as it won't be offered to new applicants much longer. As others said it will be an easy 50k miles.

Yup. If you're getting just one, get the USAir Dividend Miles card since this will be available for a very short time only. And the bonus requirement is super easy (make any purchase and pay the AF). However ...

@Open123 wrote:

In my view, it's worth it.  If you app for US Air 50K and Citi 50k, you'll have 100K AA post merger.

Yes! You should get both. As long as you can meet the spend requirement of the AA (mine was $2000 in 3 monhts), you'll get an additional 50K miles for a total of 100K miles post merger. That's 2 RT tickets domestic.

BK DC 4/9/2018
FICO 08 (4/9/2018): EQ 647 EX 609 TU 620
FICO 08 (10/16/2020): EQ 676 EX 659 TU 653
Message 9 of 42
joedtx
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

apply while you can! do eeeeeeeeet!

when I was standing in line for checkout at safeway, a kid standing behind me saw my card and said "wow! cool! mom, look! her card's got an airplane!" Smiley LOL

I really have been debating it,....between the Venture as well these offers are so tempting. I am familiar with Citi's bad customer service so that kinda lost its appeal, Barclays service has been pretty good and i'm probably one of the few but Capitol Ones service and chat has been above average. I'm sooooo not sure heck let's toss in Arrival + Smiley Very Happy  they have 40k offer as well. Mabye I should just stay in the garden after all. 

Message 10 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.