Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AA Citicard v Cap 1 Venture

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AA Citicard v Cap 1 Venture

New to this forum.  Currently use two CCs...Amex True Rewards and American Airlines Citicard.  Don't recall the Amex credit limit (have had the card for about 5 years).  AA Citicard I've had for 15-20 years with high credit limit, $35,000 I think, though I have no need for a limit that high....they just kept raising it over the years.  Charge about $800-$1,000/month on Amex for those items where we benefit by charging on that card.  On AA Citicard, charge about $1,000 month.  Pay off both cards in full every month, so don't really care what the interest rate is.  Want to drop the AA Citicard and get a Cap 1 Venture card instead for the flexibility in using travel miles.  We'll keep the Amex card.  Last time I knew (about 2 years ago), my FICO score was 795.  My question:  Should I drop the AA card first and then apply for Cap 1 card, or keep the AA card and then apply for Cap 1?  What are my chances for being approved by Cap 1?  Also, how will it affect my FICO score with the expected drop in credit limit on a new Cap 1 card, where I won't have the $35,000 limit on AA anymore and will likely have a much, much lower credit limit on a new Cap One Venture card?  Thanks.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AA Citicard v Cap 1 Venture

@Anonymous wrote:

New to this forum.  Currently use two CCs...Amex True Rewards and American Airlines Citicard.  Don't recall the Amex credit limit (have had the card for about 5 years). 

AA Citicard I've had for 15-20 years with high credit limit, $35,000 I think, though I have no need for a limit that high....they just kept raising it over the years. 

On AA Citicard, charge about $1,000 month. 

Charge about $800-$1,000/month on Amex for those items where we benefit by charging on that card. 

Pay off both cards in full every month, so don't really care what the interest rate is. 

Want to drop the AA Citicard and get a Cap 1 Venture card instead for the flexibility in using travel miles.  We'll keep the Amex card.  Last time I knew (about 2 years ago), my FICO score was 795. 

My question: 

Should I drop the AA card first and then apply for Cap 1 card, or keep the AA card and then apply for Cap 1? 

What are my chances for being approved by Cap 1? 

Also, how will it affect my FICO score with the expected drop in credit limit on a new Cap 1 card, where I won't have the $35,000 limit on AA anymore and will likely have a much, much lower credit limit on a new Cap One Venture card? 

Thanks.

Welcome to Forums chuckster!

Bump!   Anyone?

Message 2 of 4
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

Your chances for approval would be 100% base on your credit profile. Your AAoA is great, available credit is great. I say pull the trigger. I would personally keep both of your cards open to let the Venture card match your other CLs. Lenders are drooling over your credit reports Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 4
Prettylady1
Regular Contributor

Do NOT close anything!!! That could decrease your score since you've had that card so long! Go to capital ones website and select prequalify. It's a soft pull and it shows you what you're more than likely approved for!!! Good luck. Let us know!!!

Starting Score: TU 640, EQ 636, EX 645
Current Score: TU 665, EQ 706, EX ?
Goal Score: All above 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.