cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AA after using card at "low end" establishments?

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Re: AA after using card at "low end" establishments?

@Anonymous wrote:

It's like how Amex used to instantly FR if you shopped at walmart or ate at denny's. Glad that crap changed.

What the heck is wrong with Denny's? I like Denny's! And its not necessarily cheap. If I got an FR based on where I shopped they can keep their cards and my business will go elsewhere. I'm not interested in dealing with excessively paranoid lenders. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 31 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

"This guy has been eating a lot of Moons Over My Hammy, things must be really rough for him.  Poor chap, but he's now excessively risky.  Next it will be 7-11 hot dogs.  Shut him down."

Message 32 of 53
merlinflex
Frequent Contributor

99% of the time we shop at Harris Teeter, Whole Foods and Wegmans, but a few weeks ago, my wife was driving home from a lecture for work and stopped at a place called Food Lion and when she got home I saw the bags with the Food Lion name and logo! Total was $87 and change........and she used our Amex Gold.....I immediately ran out to Wegmans and bought cavier and some other over prices items to counter act her faux pas!!!

If it happens again, it won't pretty.....Smiley Very Happy

Message 33 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

@merlinflex wrote:

99% of the time we shop at Harris Teeter, Whole Foods and Wegmans, but a few weeks ago, my wife was driving home from a lecture for work and stopped at a place called Food Lion and when she got home I saw the bags with the Food Lion name and logo! Total was $87 and change........and she used our Amex Gold.....I immediately ran out to Wegmans and bought cavier and some other over prices items to counter act her faux pas!!!

"Food Lion.  If we told you there was a cheaper place in town we'd be lion."

food lion

Message 34 of 53
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@merlinflex wrote:

Well, glad you recovered, but it's probably easier just to call Amex and explain that one of your maids was shopping for your wife and misunderstood instructions.

Message 35 of 53
merlinflex
Frequent Contributor

That or remove her as an AU on the Amex and head to divorce court!  Might be easier than trying to explain that to Amex!  Smiley LOL

Message 36 of 53
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Wouldn't be surprised if CCC's are still doing it . It wasn't too long ago when race , gender and address were factored into your "credit worthiness" . Some people believe your address is still to this day factored into your Fico score . A person living in the getto is more likely to default than a person living in a nice upscale neighborhood . That's how they see it .

Um, they don't micromanage that much.  My rich ex bro in law lives in an area with higher crime (took over the condo from sis), but since he's a high mucky muck for rental car, they still treat him well.

Signature needs updating
Message 37 of 53
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Gunnar419 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Wouldn't be surprised if CCC's are still doing it . It wasn't too long ago when race , gender and address were factored into your "credit worthiness" . Some people believe your address is still to this day factored into your Fico score . A person living in the getto is more likely to default than a person living in a nice upscale neighborhood . That's how they see it .

I expect there's some truth to that (though of course banks would be very, very careful to avoid anything that might be seen as racist, sexist, etc.)

As to the study cited by the OP, though, I think it's telling that it was from 2010, which is not that long after the 2008 crash. Many ccs, and most notoriously Amex, were penalizing people for shopping at Walmart and so on because they were trying to figure out which customers were suddenly struggling, post 2008. I don't think those same standards apply now, even though others might.

If I ran a cc company, I'd definitely keep an eye on customers who were running up huge gambling tabs, though. That and some other things (not Walmart shopping) have got to be red flags. Even then, I'd balance that against a cardholder's overall profile. Is the person a well heeled high flyer who's good for the money or a gambling addict about to go bust? It would require multiple indicators to tell, so yes, I'm sure they're monitoring.

Agree with this.  They are more concerned about future default, which should show up as credit problems on your reports (with those fancy risk algorithms they employ with surreptitious monthly soft pulls).

Signature needs updating
Message 38 of 53
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

"This guy has been eating a lot of Moons Over My Hammy, things must be really rough for him.  Poor chap, but he's now excessively risky.  Next it will be 7-11 hot dogs.  Shut him down."

I like 7-11 hot dogs too! What the heck is going on here! Smiley Very Happy

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 39 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the laugh ladies and gentlemen... welcome to "muricah" as some poepl call it.Smiley Tongue

Message 40 of 53
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.