Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AA exec and Prestige Dilemma

tag
redpat
Senior Contributor

AA exec and Prestige Dilemma

I have a dilemma, my AF for prestige is March 12th.  I want to app for citi aa exec for the 60k offer by March 1 or if  keep prestige but can I PC to AA exec in July when AA lounge access ends.  Do I keep both?  One usage of 4th night free pays for itself.

Fly only AA and it sucks that the lounge perk got nerfed for me.

I'm stuck w/ my prestige AF coming up early before the nerfed perks.

Suggestions please?

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: AA exec and Prestige Dilemma

Prestige has some severe nerfing. Nerf with a capital N. I'd close that one before paying the AF for reduced benefits. If you think the averaged 4th night is worth it, maybe, but then you have to buy a 4th night.

Have you considered the Citi Premier? It earns TY points, so would continue your TY points if any remain. It looks like it earns better on daily spend items, including travel and gas, and you should get 1.25c on AA purchases.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@redpat wrote:

I have a dilemma, my AF for prestige is March 12th.  I want to app for citi aa exec for the 60k offer by March 1 or if  keep prestige but can I PC to AA exec in July when AA lounge access ends.  Do I keep both?  One usage of 4th night free pays for itself.

Suggestions please?

Do you routinely stay at a hotel for 4 nights or more each year that costs $200/night? If so, it is a easy decision.  Keep the Prestige.  I have both the Exec and Prestige and plan on keeping both, at least for this year.  

Message 3 of 11
redpat
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@redpat wrote:

Suggestions please?

Do you routinely stay at a hotel for 4 nights or more each year that costs $200/night? If so, it is a easy decision.  Keep the Prestige.  I have both the Exec and Prestige and plan on keeping both, at least for this year.  

I had about a little over 1k from 4th night last year.  One stay was about $650 of that.  This year on the other hand I migh use once or twice but all stays are mostly over $200.

Yeah, one stay will do it.   For god's sake if Amex would just reinsate AA lounge everything would be so much easier.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 4 of 11
redpat
Senior Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

Prestige has some severe nerfing. Nerf with a capital N. I'd close that one before paying the AF for reduced benefits. If you think the averaged 4th night is worth it, maybe, but then you have to buy a 4th night.

Have you considered the Citi Premier? It earns TY points, so would continue your TY points if any remain. It looks like it earns better on daily spend items, including travel and gas, and you should get 1.25c on AA purchases.

@I have a little over 85k TY points that I'm going to blow-out @ 1.60x for AA flights this week.  I don't want to pass up the 1.60x and get 1.25x 

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not very knowledgeable on Citi product changes or bonuses but I agree that maybe either applying and getting a bonus or pc'ing over to the Premiere would be a good option. It's a pretty good card with a low annual fee.

Message 6 of 11
SMDLiquid
Regular Contributor

@redpat wrote:

Suggestions please?

I'm also thinking about closing my Citi Prestige and applying for the Citi Executive. Where did you find the 60K bonus for the Citi Executive?

Chase Freedom | Chase Freedom Unlimited | Chase Hyatt | Chase Sapphire Preferred AU | Amex EDP AU | Amex SPG | Citi Prestige | Citi AAdvantage Executive | AAdvantage Aviator Red |

FICO: Experian 821 | TransUnion 825 | Equifax 830 | Last App: 08/28/2017
Message 7 of 11
redpat
Senior Contributor

@SMDLiquid wrote:

@redpat wrote:

Suggestions please?

I'm also thinking about closing my Citi Prestige and applying for the Citi Executive. Where did you find the 60K bonus for the Citi Executive?

I applied today.  Mailers at home for both business and exe.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@redpat wrote:

@I have a little over 85k TY points that I'm going to blow-out @ 1.60x for AA flights this week.  I don't want to pass up the 1.60x and get 1.25x 

I did just this about a month back, blowing up about 140K TYP for RT tickets from DFW - KOA.

Message 9 of 11
Saleen099
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@redpat wrote:

I did just this about a month back, blowing up about 140K TYP for RT tickets from DFW - KOA.

Was that First Class Nixon? 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.