cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AA from FNBO AMEX (Insert sad face here)

tag
themanwhosoldtheworld
Valued Member

AA from FNBO AMEX (Insert sad face here)

Well, looks like I had some AA from FNBO.  Not really sure if the card is closed or what is happening.   First, I have had the card since around May. I have used it on a limited basis as it has ZERO rewards but I have put around $1,500 through it and I always PIF before the statement cuts. I decided I would use it today being I have not used it since around late July and you guessed it, DECLINED. Pretty embarrassing being it was at my place of employment but that is beside the point. I immediately called the number on my card and it said I had an outstanding balance of $0 and a CL of $0. When I just got home from work I checked online and it still says that my credit limit is $2,100.

Now, if anyone has read my other thread HERE then you know that I had a little mini app spree earlier this month but have in total added 5 TL's, well 6 TL's if you count in Lending Club but I have not ran my reports to see if that is showing up at all. Nothing has changed on my reports at all. No recent Negs, my FICO score is around 50 points higher, AND my UTIL is around 5% whereas when I first got the FNBO AMEX it was MUCH higher, I would say around 30%.

So, what do I do? I haven't called them yet (and talked to a humanoid) because I want to be prepared. I really don't NEED the card being it does not have any rewards system at all. The card does not really help out my UTIL at all being I don't carry much of a balance. The only reason I would think of fighting it is that I was going to call and try to PC the card to the rewards version after some of my accounts had aged and my credit had a little time to heal from all of the activity in the last 6 months.

Input?

Starting Score: EQ: 695 (MyFico)
Current Score: EQ 729(MyFico 05/07/14), EXP 724 05/08/2014, 744 Card Acquisition Risk Score 09/09/13 (Chase Pulled)
Goal Score: 800
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: AA from FNBO AMEX (Insert sad face here)

You may get lucky but it's doubtful.  FNBO/First Bankcard, Barclays, Cabela's (sometimes Citi and BOA) will suspend/close your account due to AA.  Since admittedly you went on an app fiesta, this likely points to the their AA.  Not many success stories of being able to reopen the account once an AA occurs...YEMV.  Each lender has their own underwriting/monitoring/AR criteria so if they believe that certain risk factors in your profile raise some red flags, then they're only protecting themselves...just part of their business model.

Message 2 of 21
themanwhosoldtheworld
Valued Member

Yeah I have been watching my Barclays like hawk.  I have to admit that if I was a creditor I would get nervous with all of the TL's that I have added lately.  No big deal just disappointed in losing the TL and in myself for not being more patient and letting accounts age before adding new ones.  Oh well I guess lesson learned.

Current Score: EQ 729(MyFico 05/07/14), EXP 724 05/08/2014, 744 Card Acquisition Risk Score 09/09/13 (Chase Pulled)
Message 3 of 21
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@themanwhosoldtheworld wrote:

Yeah I have been watching my Barclays like hawk.  I have to admit that if I was a creditor I would get nervous with all of the TL's that I have added lately.  No big deal just disappointed in losing the TL and in myself for not being more patient and letting accounts age before adding new ones.  Oh well I guess lesson learned.

I would still call them since there is a possibility to reopen it and discuss the situation with an analyst to determine if there is any leverage.  Since you already took the HP and AAoA hit, might as well.  Yes, lesson learned but maybe if your efforts are successful, I would definitely lay SUPER low on any HPs or new accounts for 12 months.

Message 4 of 21
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

The limit wasn't that high, and as you said, it offers no rewards and on top of that it's a fake Amex--don't sweat losing this card too much.

Message 5 of 21
koalablue
Frequent Contributor

I would give them a call and ask to have your credit limit reinstated. It's worth a try, even if you don't use the card much.
Message 6 of 21
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@thelethargicage wrote:
The limit wasn't that high, and as you said, it offers no rewards and on top of that it's a fake Amex--don't sweat losing this card too much.

Referring to it as fake is a bit much since they never claimed that it was administered by Centurion Bank. It is able to be used in all American Express promotions and comes with the usual benefits or protections that they typically have.

I would just ring and ask them why the confusion. I don't know if they let you actually speak to analysts, so you may have to wait for a letter to see what's happening and why.

Message 7 of 21
myjourney
Super Contributor

Sorry to hear this 

FNBO was part of my last spree so I will be very interested to see what happens 

How many app did you do after the FNBO approval just curious?

Good luck and keep us posted 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 8 of 21
themanwhosoldtheworld
Valued Member

@myjourney wrote:

Sorry to hear this 

I apped for 5 cards and got all 5.  One of them was a Comenity Bank backed Visa that I obtained using the "shopping cart trick" so there was no HP.  Myfico only shows that I have added 4 TL's since opening that FNBO account so it must depend on what report you look at.  Really they shouldn't see anymore than 4 HP's but I guess that is a bit much for that length of time.

Message 9 of 21
myjourney
Super Contributor

@themanwhosoldtheworld wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

Sorry to hear this 

I apped for 5 cards and got all 5.  One of them was a Comenity Bank backed Visa that I obtained using the "shopping cart trick" so there was no HP.  Myfico only shows that I have added 4 TL's since opening that FNBO account so it must depend on what report you look at.  Really they shouldn't see anymore than 4 HP's but I guess that is a bit much for that length of time.

I did a 4 app spree which included FNBO in June and nothing since so we'll see what happens in my caseSmiley Sad

I have my fingers crossed for you that it's just something simple that can be corrected with a phone call.

All the research I did before my app nothing suggested they were INQ sensitive ..so hang in there 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.