Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AA gift cards for Amex Plat travel credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AA gift cards for Amex Plat travel credit

Does buying American Airlines gift cards still work to redeem the travel credit for Platinum and PRG Amex ? And how do I buy these GC I can't seem to find it on the AA site. Thanks.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
odd_dog
Valued Contributor

Re: AA gift cards for Amex Plat travel credit

I think it still works, if you picked American to be your airline. I used to do it all the time, I only did $50 at a time so as not to look suspicious. on any page on AA.com scroll down to the bottom, the light blue part...there center right under the heading "extras" you will see gift card...click and go for it.....

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I do it in $50 at a time ? Has anyone had luck doing it with $100 or $200 ? Thanks
Message 3 of 9
odd_dog
Valued Contributor

Someone else might know better, because it is not "incidentals" like baggage or a charge for a better seat so I did not want to raise flags, I know $50 at a time was credited automatically a day or two after the charge hit....Anyone else charge more on gift cards?

Message 4 of 9
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

Last year I bought AA gift cards, using both my Gold and Plat benefits.

Purchased $100 amounts. Received credit within days.

I've also bought Alaska gift cards in the past. Easy peasy.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@odd_dog wrote:

I think it still works, if you picked American to be your airline. I used to do it all the time, I only did $50 at a time so as not to look suspicious. on any page on AA.com scroll down to the bottom, the light blue part...there center right under the heading "extras" you will see gift card...click and go for it.....

Did you do the plastic gift card or the virtual gift card and does that matter for getting the Amex credit anyone know?

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@odd_dog wrote:

Did you do the plastic gift card or the virtual gift card and does that matter for getting the Amex credit anyone know?

Doesnt matter which you buy.  Amex wouldnt know either way even if it did and $100 charges easily go thru and while I can't remember for sure I think $200 ones go thru as well.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Irish !!!

Message 8 of 9
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

Flyertalk is the best source for this type of info ... always up to date info there

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.