AAA Signature Visa

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: AAA Signature Visa

@vwgrrc wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Stoneheavy wrote:

What do you guys think of the AAA Visa for travel rewards?  It's Bank of America and I don't much care for them, so it would have to be really better than other travel reward cards.

https://www.az.aaa.com/financial/aaa-credit-card?zip=85226&devicecd=PC&referer=www.aaa.com

https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit-cards/products/aaa-visa-credit-card.go

I was impressed by it, so I applied... and was unceremoniously denied with a credit score in the low 700s.

Since I wanted it for the 3% off travel expenses (specifically hotels for me) I then applied and was approved for the Sam's Mastercard.  It's not a perfect replacement (you need to have a Sam's Club membership) but it includes restaurants, which the AAA doesn't.  Also, the Sam's MC is through Synchrony, and many folks here either love them or hate them, so there's that... LOL

Honestly, if BoA had approved me I would have it now (it was my first choice), so that being said, I was impressed.  I can't complain too much about where I ended up, though.  Smiley Wink

I really want to cover travel+dining for 3% with a single card.

Too bad it requires Sams membership! Since I never shop there, it's just like a card with AF to me.

Yea, I don't shop there, either, so I had to weigh that when I decided to give it a shot.  With my annual hotel spend, getting 3% back (minus the Sam's member fee) is still more than I would get back using the Quicksilver, so I 'pulled the trigger'. 

It's a given that you have to have a membership to apply, but it's a little murkier if a continued membership is required to keep earning cash back. On the website, it states that to cash the annual cash back check without a membership, "day passes" are available to give entry to the club for one day.  However, on another page it states that without a Membership, the rewards are nullified, so there's a contradiction there. 

It would be perfect for me if I could just drop by one day a year and cash the check; I would likely cancel the membership.  I have nearly a year to check it out, though, so it may come to pass that the membership could have value for me after all.  I'm stopping by later today to have my picture taken for the card (my first visit to a Sam's in over 10 years) so I might be pleasantly surprised...

Message 11 of 18
icyhot
Valued Contributor

3% on eligible AAA purchases, so travel booked through AAA, AAA insurance payments, purchases at AAA car care center, that kind of stuff.
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 12 of 18
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@icyhot wrote:
3% on eligible AAA purchases, so travel booked through AAA, AAA insurance payments, purchases at AAA car care center, that kind of stuff.

For the AAA Visa, the travel doesn't have to be booked through AAA... as long as the MCC is hotel, airline, etc. it should earn the 3%.  However, if I recall correctly, rail travel isn't included, which seemed odd.

Here's a link to the fine print: 

https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit-cards/credit-cards-terms-and-conditions.go?cid=2124556&po=FP&re...

This is a pretty awesome card, and I'm surprised it doesn't get more 'love' around here.  I'm hoping that sometime next year I can try again, and SD the Sam's MC (I prefer no AF cards, and the Sam's MC seems (?) to require the membership).

Message 13 of 18
TitaniumCash
Regular Contributor

Can anyone apply or is membership required?

Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

It doesn't require an AAA membership to apply, but the reward worh more (at least 10% more) when you redeem at AAA.

Message 15 of 18
onstar
Established Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@icyhot wrote:

For the AAA Visa, the travel doesn't have to be booked through AAA... as long as the MCC is hotel, airline, etc. it should earn the 3%.  However, if I recall correctly, rail travel isn't included, which seemed odd.

Here's a link to the fine print: 

https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit-cards/credit-cards-terms-and-conditions.go?cid=2124556&po=FP&re...

This is a pretty awesome card, and I'm surprised it doesn't get more 'love' around here.  I'm hoping that sometime next year I can try again, and SD the Sam's MC (I prefer no AF cards, and the Sam's MC seems (?) to require the membership).

Yup. You can book directly with Marriott, pay with AAA Visa, and you'll get 3% cash back. I've done this many, many times before I got my Marriott Visa.

And you're correct, rail does not count for 3X. From the fine print: "the following types of transactions will not qualify to receive triple points: rail purchases of any kind; insurance purchases made through any AAA Club or Club-affiliated insurance agency for policies which are not underwritten by an insurance company owned by or affiliated with a AAA Club; and automobile extended warranties, trip insurance or any other services that are purchased through a participating AAA Club but are provided by a third party merchant."

BK DC 4/9/2018
FICO 08 (4/9/2018): EQ 647 EX 609 TU 620
FICO 08 (10/16/2020): EQ 676 EX 659 TU 653
Message 16 of 18
onstar
Established Contributor

@onstar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I wonder if it's only available in certain states, because california AAA website doesn't show this credit card.

I'm in southern California. I see it here:

http://www.calif.aaa.com/home/financial.html

RedMiniStapler, you must be in Northern California. Per the fine print, "AAA clubs located in Northern California, Nevada and Utah are not participating AAA Clubs and purchases made at those clubs will not qualify for triple points."

However, you can still apply for the card. Just go here and sign up:

https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit-cards/products/aaa-visa-credit-card.go

BK DC 4/9/2018
FICO 08 (4/9/2018): EQ 647 EX 609 TU 620
FICO 08 (10/16/2020): EQ 676 EX 659 TU 653
Message 17 of 18
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Hmm, the terms must've changed or I didn't read close enough. This card may be useful to me again
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.