Frequent Contributor
pjxf99

AAA cash back

I was going to sign up for AAA, and noticed they have a credit card through BofA. The website says "up to 5% back on gas purchases at the pump".

It's that "up to" that concerns me. Anyone have this card, and know how the cash rebates work? I read through the terms and it just talks about the types of purchases that qualify.
FAKO TU: 730 (Too poor to check the real scores these days!)
Established Contributor
jaybird201

Re: AAA cash back

Yes, you get 5% back on gas. BUT! Your rebate is limited to 2% of your total monthly retail purchases. So, if you use the card just for gas, you'll be limited to a 2% rebate.

So, spending $100 on gas in a month and $0 on other purchases will get you a $2 rebate.

However, if you spend $100 on gas in a month and $1000 in other purchases, you'll get a $5 rebate (5%) for the gas and a $10 rebate (1%) for the $1000. That's $15/$1100 which is 1.36% total cash back and therefore below the 2% maximum.

If you were able to do the math and calculate how much you needed to spend on gas and other purchases, you could get basically 2% back on everything to buy on the card.

Long story short, Discover More and AmEx TE blow this card out of the water.
Frequent Contributor
pjxf99

Re: AAA cash back

Oh, believe me, I LUST after the Amex TE card. But I didn't think I could qualify for it. Discover I've stayed away from because I had a charge off with them right after college.

Thanks for the info and the numbers, I'll think about it some more.
FAKO TU: 730 (Too poor to check the real scores these days!)

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+