Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AAOA and AU accounts

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AAOA and AU accounts

Im in the rebuilding stage of my credit. i had my dad add me to his amex which is aaoa of 20 yrs. I also had my mom add me to her amex and chase accounts with fairly long aaoa. Will those AAOA apply my credit even though im not the primary account holder and only a AU? Or will my aaoa be my oldest account that is in my name?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: AAOA and AU accounts

@Anonymous wrote:

Im in the rebuilding stage of my credit. i had my dad add me to his amex which is aaoa of 20 yrs. I also had my mom add me to her amex and chase accounts with fairly long aaoa. Will those AAOA apply my credit even though im not the primary account holder and only a AU? Or will my aaoa be my oldest account that is in my name?

If we are talking about 08 scores, which i think most CCC use, then it will have an very limited effect. I thik EX and TU don't even count AU accounts. With that being said it can't hurt for them to add you as an AU. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

sorry for the silly question what is a 08 score?

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Found out what it means after doing some more searching around. 

Message 4 of 5
Brax
Frequent Contributor

Short answer: yes it will help your AAoA. That's about the only extent AU accounts can help anymore unless you have practically no credit history.

BUT, with Amex being added as an AU means it will report as a new account for YOU. Even if their Amex has been open for 20 years. And even if you've been an Amex member previously, it will STILL report as a new acct. So that's going to hurt your AAoA.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.