cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AARP by Chase: 3% restaurants and gas: opinions?

tag
barthooper
Frequent Contributor

Re: AARP by Chase: 3% restaurants and gas: opinions?

@trant3 wrote:

I picked up the card during the $200. Never used it once after the bonus was received. Since then, the card has been closed. I hated the logo and the "old" people stigma while using it.

I definitely see the reasoning here. However I'd probably just take it as an opportunity to say it gets 3% off restaurants and gas. I had a cashier give an odd look at my Sallie Mae one time and say something about having loans through them, to which I briefly responded about the rewards. I'd use the ugliest card in the world if it meant getting good rewards.

Quicksilver - 16k | Discover It - 34k | Citi DC - $21k | Chase Amazon - 8k | Chase Reserve - 19.5k | Chase Preferred - 5k | EX FICO (Discover CSC) 788
Message 11 of 29
newhis
Valued Contributor

I also have the card since the $200 promo last year. It was an easy way to CLI my Freedom by transfering some limit. DW has Sallie Mae for gas. I use Freedom/Discover during the 5% quarter, now with Chase SR I'll use that for restaurants. No use for AARP after the 0% promo in 2 months.

I don't like closing/PC/downgrade cards with less than 2 years, so I'll wait a year then transfer the limit to Freedom.

Message 12 of 29
JamP
Valued Contributor

My DW and I use our AARP for gas and restaurants only. I use a couple other cards for 5% but ultimately come back to the AARP.

I signed up when they offered the $200 bonus.

Every restaurant and every gas station we have come across has been 3%, this includes fast food, bars and cafes and juice bars. I don't know about caterers but we may try it if we ever need one .

My brother is a truck driver and you wouldn't believe the money he has made off this unlimited 3% card.

I am in it for rewards, I could care less what the card looks like or the looks I receive for having it.

@SunriseEarth wrote:

Perhaps someone with AARP can answer this, but is Chase AARP as specific with the MCC for "Restaurants" as Cash+ is?   In other words, do related MCCs (Fast Food, Bars & Cafes, Caterers) also get 3% with AARP?   With Cash+, it's very specific.   Marvel gives the 3% on the 4 dining MCCs.

Anyway, the people with AARP seem to like the card, despite looks of curiousity for cardholders below "AARP" age.  

250k+ CL and climbing.
Message 13 of 29
barthooper
Frequent Contributor

@JamP wrote:

My DW and I use our AARP for gas and restaurants only. I use a couple other cards for 5% but ultimately come back to the AARP.

I signed up when they offered the $200 bonus.

Every restaurant and every gas station we have come across has been 3%, this includes fast food, bars and cafes and juice bars. I don't know about caterers but we may try it if we ever need one .

My brother is a truck driver and you wouldn't believe the money he has made off this unlimited 3% card.

I am in it for rewards, I could care less what the card looks like or the looks I receive for having it.

@SunriseEarth wrote:

Perhaps someone with AARP can answer this, but is Chase AARP as specific with the MCC for "Restaurants" as Cash+ is?   In other words, do related MCCs (Fast Food, Bars & Cafes, Caterers) also get 3% with AARP?   With Cash+, it's very specific.   Marvel gives the 3% on the 4 dining MCCs.

Anyway, the people with AARP seem to like the card, despite looks of curiousity for cardholders below "AARP" age.  

Knowing how generous they are with the MCC coding makes this even more tempting. Might have to pick this up next actually, especially if the $200 pops up again.

Quicksilver - 16k | Discover It - 34k | Citi DC - $21k | Chase Amazon - 8k | Chase Reserve - 19.5k | Chase Preferred - 5k | EX FICO (Discover CSC) 788
Message 14 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Themanwhocan wrote:

The 10th option is to join Navy Federal Credit Union, and then get the Go Rewards card. 3X restaurants, 2X gas, 1X everything else.

Unless you primarily eat at Fast Food restaurants, then the Cash+ is king. And the 5% rotating category cards in certain quarters...

The Marvel card is what I would prefer to use, of the 3% cards. Automatic monthly redemptions, and large credit limits.

The only thing against NFCU GoRewards, for me, is $50 minimum to redeem, whereas AARP has no min.

Message 15 of 29
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

The 10th option is to join Navy Federal Credit Union, and then get the Go Rewards card. 3X restaurants, 2X gas, 1X everything else.

Unless you primarily eat at Fast Food restaurants, then the Cash+ is king. And the 5% rotating category cards in certain quarters...

The Marvel card is what I would prefer to use, of the 3% cards. Automatic monthly redemptions, and large credit limits.

The only thing against NFCU GoRewards, for me, is $50 minimum to redeem, whereas AARP has no min.

AARP has $20 minimum redemption for cash. What redemption option were you seeing that has no minimum?

The Marvel card has no minimum, if thats the card you meant.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 16 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oops, sorry I misspoke. I guess I meant you didn't have to redeem in exact increments. For example, after meeting the spend requirement and getting $100 bonus, I was able to redeem 10,509 points for $105.09.
Message 17 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Even Starbucks counts as a restaurant on the AARP card. I have the AARP and the NFCU GoRewards. Both are excellent for dining. I am planning a long weekend in New Orleans and plan to take both.

Message 18 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Love my Aarp card. Got this card just last month and just by spending on regular gas and food i have got 25$ inrewards plus 100$ bonus. it counts fast food resturants as well. like mc donalds , tacobell etc. and it also counts murphys for gas 3%. its a great card to have for those who drive a lot and eat out a lot. i love the card design. age issue does not bother us at all. feels silly to care about it. lol

Message 19 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Loving all these great reactions to the card. Can't wait to come out of the garden in Jan and app for this! This will be my next card. I want to say about 80% of my monthly spend besides bills/utilities ( since i put that all on CC now too, even rent! ) is gas and food. I don't use cash any more, at all. ( unless stupid dispensary, and thats upwards of $5000/yr ) Hopefully by then there is atleast the $100 signup offer.

Thanks all you great myficoer's!

Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.