Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AARP credit card question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AARP credit card question

I was wondering - has getting the AARP credit card helped anyone get more out of their AARP membership?

I often forget to even check if there's an AARP discount somewhere. I thought maybe using the AARP credit card would help me make better use of my AARP membership in general, and thought I'd ask what others have experienced.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
CountryLivin
Valued Contributor

Re: AARP credit card question

For me , Not really.....other than the cash back on the card....I really see no difference.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't have an AARP CC, but as a relatively new AARP member, I have gotten NO actual benefits as far as discounts beyond a senior coffee here and there.  I do, however get bombarded with mail from AARP, including new member packets several times a month, asking me to join or renew.  I get more mail from AARP than the NRA, if you can believe that.

I app'd the card, but got denied(scores in the LOW 600s at that time) and haven't bothered to circle back and try again.  My parents are living, and it irritates tham to no end to have a child who is old enough to join AARP, so I like to heckle them about that.  If I plunked down an AARP CC to pay for dinner with them, they might just lose it.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't have an AARP CC, but as a relatively new AARP member, I have gotten NO actual benefits as far as discounts beyond a senior coffee here and there.  I do, however get bombarded with mail from AARP, including new member packets several times a month, asking me to join or renew.  I get more mail from AARP than the NRA, if you can believe that.

I app'd the card, but got denied(scores in the LOW 600s at that time) and haven't bothered to circle back and try again.  My parents are living, and it irritates tham to no end to have a child who is old enough to join AARP, so I like to heckle them about that.  If I plunked down an AARP CC to pay for dinner with them, they might just lose it.

I have AARP for a similar reason - my wife is several years younger than I am, and it drives her nuts to have an AARP card in her name.

I've used it enough to cover the membership costs, but that's about it.

Message 4 of 5
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

I have the AARP card due to the sign up bonus and spend benefits - no issues no problems. I do NOT and would not join AARP even if it was free. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.