Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AARP super bonus?

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: AARP super bonus?

@go_FICO_self wrote:

humor me this kind folks of fico forums: why is a 3% restaurant card so important when 2% cards on dining (or not exclusively) are dime a dozen!

and before you jump up and say: "but you get 1% extra cashback!", to which i reply with, why don't you leave 1% less tip then? say, on a $50 meal that amounts to giving 50 cents less tip. and given the tip percents, i think there is that wiggle room.

Yes, most of these things make a "real" difference only on large volume, and sometimes not even then (My fave was the rush to go from the Discover More, with its poxy 0.25% reward on first $3K a year, to the It, which pays 1%.  Difference is $22.50 a year max, but LOTS of excitement)

So no real difference unless you are putting large volume through the cards, but for convenience.   With your argument, I can get a non-rewards card to benefit from a low APR and tip 10% rather than 15% and do much better.

Message 11 of 19
Brusilov
Established Contributor

To be clear this card only covers 3% for restaurants, correct?  Not fast food?

Message 12 of 19
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

@go_FICO_self wrote:

humor me this kind folks of fico forums: why is a 3% restaurant card so important when 2% cards on dining (or not exclusively) are dime a dozen!

and before you jump up and say: "but you get 1% extra cashback!", to which i reply with, why don't you leave 1% less tip then? say, on a $50 meal that amounts to giving 50 cents less tip. and given the tip percents, i think there is that wiggle room.

Duhhhhhh......there's absolutely no point here....nor advice

Message 13 of 19
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@wacdenney wrote:

I always want to maximize rewards.  

Really?  You don't seem to have the reward maximization card(s) of the day!  So you must mean within some constraints

Message 14 of 19
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@wacdenney wrote:

I always want to maximize rewards.  

Really?  You don't seem to have the reward maximization card(s) of the day!  So you must mean within some constraints

Unfortunately I don't qualify for every card I apply for.  Other cards give the best rewards I qualify for at the time and then I get a better card to replace them but I don't always close them. 

But yes...  Given the "constraints" of what cards I can get approved for I will always choose the card that offers the best rewards.  My PayPal card as an example used to be my go to for dining at ~2.5% but now I no longer use it for dining because I have 3% available on AARP.  Yes I could short change the server on the tip i suppose, but why not just use the card that earns the best rewards FOR ME.  Yes, FOR ME...  It could be argued if I was someone who flies alot that CSP would be better for dining, but for me it's not.

I realize there are 5% cards available for dining.  I have seen themanwhocan's chart.  I have applied for several of these and been denied.  For now, AARP is the best I can do.

Message 15 of 19
go_FICO_self
Frequent Contributor

Re ltl: my argument wouldn't imply going from 15% to 10% as that is going against social norms. 1% gives you enough wiggle room to stay within the norms.

The volume makes sense. So does something like, I frequent X often, and I pay Y% tip. And this card gives most reward than others.

But my general point is that restaurant total bill is not fixed like gas or groceries and you can easily get back that 1% from elsewhere.

On the phone so can't quote.
Message 16 of 19
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@go_FICO_self wrote:
Re ltl: my argument wouldn't imply going from 15% to 10% as that is going against social norms. 1% gives you enough wiggle room to stay within the norms.

The volume makes sense. So does something like, I frequent X often, and I pay Y% tip. And this card gives most reward than others.

But my general point is that restaurant total bill is not fixed like gas or groceries and you can easily get back that 1% from elsewhere.

On the phone so can't quote.

Remember that people here are also looking for restaurant cards for fast food places, where a tip may not be involved.  Of course there, the difference between 2 and 3 % can be very small.

Message 17 of 19
go_FICO_self
Frequent Contributor

True. But then we're back to your Discover argument.
Message 18 of 19
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@Brusilov wrote:

To be clear this card only covers 3% for restaurants, correct?  Not fast food?

It covers fast food too.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.