Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AARP super bonus?

tag
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

AARP super bonus?

Just went to Outback Steakhouse for lunch and paid with my Chase AARP card for the 3% back on restaurants and BAM got an additional 15% discount for using the card from Outback.  I don't know if this is nationwide and whether or not you still get the 3% from Chase but just wanted to let those with AARP know.

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Santi78342
Established Contributor

Re: AARP super bonus?

Good to know. Thanks for sharing! Would love this card but I am firmly in the garden. I need a card to get >1.5% rewards on restaurants! Definitely on my list of cards to get in a year or two when I snap my spade in two!

Message 2 of 19
chalupaman
Super Contributor

Whoa! That's really cool. That makes me wish the card could get here now cause I got approved for it on Friday.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 3 of 19
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@Santi78342 wrote:

Good to know. Thanks for sharing! Would love this card but I am firmly in the garden. I need a card to get >1.5% rewards on restaurants! Definitely on my list of cards to get in a year or two when I snap my spade in two!

I'd say if you already have a card with Chase, it tends to be much easier to get other cards from them later on. I waited two months after getting my first Chase card to apply for another one and got the AARP card after a week of verification.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 4 of 19
Santi78342
Established Contributor

@chalupaman wrote:

@Santi78342 wrote:

I'd say if you already have a card with Chase, it tends to be much easier to get other cards from them later on. I waited two months after getting my first Chase card to apply for another one and got the AARP card after a week of verification.

I don't currently have any cards with Chase. I did have a prequal for Freedom and Slate when I did my app spree but decided on Discover first and Chase later. Currently the AARP card is the only card I would use issued by Chase. Maybe Freedom if the 5% rotating categories don't overlap with my IT.

Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ecxpa wrote:

Just went to Outback Steakhouse for lunch and paid with my Chase AARP card for the 3% back on restaurants and BAM got an additional 15% discount for using the card from Outback.  I don't know if this is nationwide and whether or not you still get the 3% from Chase but just wanted to let those with AARP know.

I know a lot of places, like where I work, if you show your AARP membership card you get a discount. Maybe they gave it to you anyway with the card and not the membership card. I am sure you will still get the 3% back on your bill.

Message 6 of 19
go_FICO_self
Frequent Contributor

humor me this kind folks of fico forums: why is a 3% restaurant card so important when 2% cards on dining (or not exclusively) are dime a dozen!

and before you jump up and say: "but you get 1% extra cashback!", to which i reply with, why don't you leave 1% less tip then? say, on a $50 meal that amounts to giving 50 cents less tip. and given the tip percents, i think there is that wiggle room.

Message 7 of 19
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

I bet you got a discount they give to AARP members.  If that's the case, I wonder if this would work other places.  Maybe if you wore your shorts hiked up around your chest for added effect...

Message 8 of 19
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

@go_FICO_self wrote:

humor me this kind folks of fico forums: why is a 3% restaurant card so important when 2% cards on dining (or not exclusively) are dime a dozen!

and before you jump up and say: "but you get 1% extra cashback!", to which i reply with, why don't you leave 1% less tip then? say, on a $50 meal that amounts to giving 50 cents less tip. and given the tip percents, i think there is that wiggle room.

I always want to maximize rewards.  You could carry your argument forward to anything that gains rewards.  Why bother with rewards cards at all, just buy cheaper stuff.

You should never short change people on tips.  People rely on tips to live.  If anything get the 3% reward and leave 3% extra on the tip!

Message 9 of 19
go_FICO_self
Frequent Contributor

@wacdenney wrote:

@go_FICO_self wrote:

I always want to maximize rewards.  You could carry your argument forward to anything that gains rewards.  Why bother with rewards cards at all, just buy cheaper stuff.

You should never short change people on tips.  People rely on tips to live.  If anything get the 3% reward and leave 3% extra on the tip!

thanks for making my point. that's like saying, i got couple of stuff i don't really need as they were 20% off. maximizing net pay should be the goal, not rewards alone.

also, i'm in no way advocating paying less tip.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.