Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AAdvantage vs Arrival + vs Venture vs Sapphire

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AAdvantage vs Arrival + vs Venture vs Sapphire

Citi American Airlines AAdvantage vs Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite MasterCard vs Capitol One Venture vs Chase Sapphire Preferred 

Screen Shot 2014-10-26 at 1.13.21 PM.png

CITI American Airlines AAdvantage  ($95 annual fee, waied first year)    - Spend $1,000 in 90 days earn 30,000 bonus miles 

2x miles on American Airlines and U.S Airways purchases only

Barclaycard Arrival Plus                    ($89 annual fee, waived first year)   - Spend $3,000 in 90 days earn 40,000 bonus miles 

2x miles on all purchases

Capitol One Venture                           ($59 annual fee, waived first year)    - Spend $3,000 in 90 days earn 40,000 bonus miles 

Chase Sapphire Preferred                ($150 annual fee, waived first year)   - Spend $3,000 in 90 days earn 40,000 bonus miles

2X points on travel and dining only

EXTRAS

CITI

1. Receive 25% savings when you use your card for in-flight purchases of food, drinks and headset purchases - on both American Airlines and US Airways flights.

2. Check one bag free of charge when traveling to domestic destinations on flights marketed and operated by American Airlines.

3. Earn 10% of your redeemed AAdvantag and a $100 American Airlines Flight Discount when you spend $30,000 or more in purchases each year. 

(Free monthly Experian fico scores starting Jan 2015)

BARCLAY 

1. No foreign transaction fees

2. Free monthly Transunion fico score 

3. Get 10% miles back when redeeming for travel.

CAPITOL ONE

1. No foreign transation fees

2. Free monthly FAKO credit score 

CHASE 

2. 20% off travel when you redeem for airfare, hotel stays, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Reward.

which one would you take ?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: AAdvantage vs Arrival + vs Venture vs Sapphire

@Anonymous wrote:

Citi American Airlines AAdvantage vs Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite MasterCard vs Capitol One Venture vs Chase Sapphire Preferred 

CITI American Airlines AAdvantage  ($95 annual fee, waied first year)    - Spend $1,000 in 90 days earn 30,000 bonus miles 

Barclaycard Arrival Plus                    ($89 annual fee, waived first year)   - Spend $3,000 in 90 days earn 40,000 bonus miles 

Capitol One Venture                           ($59 annual fee, waived first year)    - Spend $3,000 in 90 days earn 40,000 bonus miles 

Chase Sapphire Preferred                ($150 annual fee, waived first year)   - Spend $3,000 in 90 days earn 40,000 bonus miles

EXTRAS

CITI

1. Receive 25% savings when you use your card for in-flight purchases of food, drinks and headset purchases - on both American Airlines and US Airways flights.

2. Check one bag free of charge when traveling to domestic destinations on flights marketed and operated by American Airlines.

3. Earn 10% of your redeemed AAdvantag and a $100 American Airlines Flight Discount when you spend $30,000 or more in purchases each year. 

BARCLAY 

CAPITOL ONE

CHASE 

2. 20% off travel when you redeem for airfare, hotel stays, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Reward.

I think its an lot closer now that CSP AF has been incresed , but i still like CSP for the flexibility it brings. I don't think venture or arrival+ are matches for me long term. I would tho signup for the bonus and drop them after an year. For me personally i would rather use an 2% cashback card like DC or fidelity amex because my spending doesn't make arrival+/Venture AF viable. 

Just so you know there is an 50k public offer for citi AA card i think if you search for it thru the American Airlines not thru Citi, you should be able to find it , but in general Arrival+/Venture/AA are probably cards i would only signup for bonus because i am not the biggest traveler so AF wouldn't make it worth it for me. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 2 of 14
skigirl916
Established Contributor

If you're planning on actually using the card for flights, AA is the worst. I've been an AA member for over 10 years and have racked up hundreds of thousands of miles. I've been able to upgrade a full economy to first just one time. Every other time I've tried to book or upgrade, there have been no seats available. Instead, I've used the miles on hotels. But other programs' (United, for example) miles go further for the same hotels. And United actually has seats available for booking or upgrade - never had an issue with them.

I have both the Venture and Arrival+WEMC. They're awesome. I plan on getting the CSP and/or the United Mileage Explorer to get United miles.
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

yes mongstradamus -  Spend $1,000 in 90 days earn 30,000 bonus miles or Spend $3,000 in 90 days earn 50,000 bonus miles if you apply from American Airlines site, 

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/earnMiles/beyondTravel/creditDebit/citi-platinum.jsp?anchorLocatio...

CITI American Airlines AAdvantage  ($95 annual fee, waied first year)    Spend $1,000 in 90 days earn 30,000 bonus miles 

Barclaycard Arrival Plus                    ($89 annual fee, waived first year)   - Spend $3,000 in 90 days earn 40,000 bonus miles 

Capitol One Venture                           ($59 annual fee, waived first year)    - Spend $3,000 in 90 days earn 40,000 bonus miles 

Chase Sapphire Preferred                ($150 annual fee, waived first year)   - Spend $3,000 in 90 days earn 40,000 bonus miles

EXTRAS 

CITI

BARCLAY 

1. No foreign transaction fees

CAPITOL ONE

CHASE 

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@skigirl916 wrote:
If you're planning on actually using the card for flights, AA is the worst. I've been an AA member for over 10 years and have racked up hundreds of thousands of miles. I've been able to upgrade a full economy to first just one time. Every other time I've tried to book or upgrade, there have been no seats available. Instead, I've used the miles on hotels. But other programs' (United, for example) miles go further for the same hotels. And United actually has seats available for booking or upgrade - never had an issue with them.

I have both the Venture and Arrival+WEMC. They're awesome. I plan on getting the CSP and/or the United Mileage Explorer to get United miles.

i would think you'll earn more in the long run with x2 miles on every purchase rather than earning x2 miles on restrictions (travel/dining only and some only on certain airlines like citi. funny thing is it used to be exclusuvely to american express platinum and gold but they lost their contract and citi took over,  http://thepointsguy.com/2013/12/amex-platinum-losing-aaus-lounge-access-new-centurion-lounges-announ...

Message 5 of 14
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

Wow, CSP is $150/yr now!! Smiley Surprised I wonder whether or not Chase will let us keep it as $95/yr...Smiley LOL

Message 6 of 14
jon22guitar
Regular Contributor

CSP is still 95 for the vast majority of people. Other higher fees are "targeted", so to speak.
CSP 10,000, Citi Forward 3400, Barclay Arrival+ 2750, BOA Travel Rewards 2700, Discover IT 1500, Chase Freedom 1000, Crap One 500
Message 7 of 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@skigirl916 wrote:

Keep hearing this and don't understand!   If you put a lot of money on it (40K a year) the Arrival makes sense over a free 2% card, but what, after the bonus, is the advantage of the Venture?

Message 8 of 14
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

@jon22guitar wrote:
CSP is still 95 for the vast majority of people. Other higher fees are "targeted", so to speak.

On Chase website is $150 now. Not "targeted", but to all new applicants...

Message 9 of 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@DigitalArk wrote:

@jon22guitar wrote:

On Chase website is $150 now. Not "targeted", but to all new applicants...

You can see this using private browsing/incognito etc.  However, if you have a chase account, you might see another figure, I get $95.

But if you want the card, you can still use these links for $95, no need to go to $150

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.