Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AAoA and AU vs new cc

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AAoA and AU vs new cc

I have a thin file.  I have one account that is 10 yrs old but 5 accounts since November.   Two of those accounts are AU accounts.  One is recent -   DH added me to his new Cap 1 venture card since it has a $10k limit  in February.  The other is his walmart card ($1.5k limit) that was opened  in November.  The cards that are mine and not an AU account is my cap 1 qs card from November ($3k limit) followed by a VS card in November ($750 limit)  In January I got an OS card ($1.6k)    Most recent is the total rewards visa that I got in a pop up on March 9th.  I wish I had a do over, I would have held off and not taken it    With these accounts, my AAoA is teetering on that 2 yr mark.   If I add any more accounts, my AAoA will drop below 1 yr and kill me.  I want an NFCU rewards visa.  I think I will get a nice starting limit and I am looking for that one good card.  I don't want a bunch of cards, just a couple good ones.  I will stay in the garden for at least a year after the NFCU card and probably longer.

If I am removed as an AU on the walmart card, will that remove the account and history towards my AAoA s so I can replace it with the NFCU card.  I am basically thinking I can swap one card for the other without a huge dent to my AAoA.   Any thoughts??

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AAoA and AU vs new cc

You can get yourself removed as an AU but the account most likely will continue to report for 10 years will the status 'Terminated'.

However, you could dispute the tradeline as 'not responsible' and it should be removed.

You may considering removing all the AU accounts for the boost in AAoA and FICO sccre until after your done applying for scores if they had a big negative effect on your scores.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are removed from the AU user account it will not report to your file anymore.

AU accounts do not report for 10 yrs like your own account. Once you are removed, it has no history.

Message 3 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

If you are removed from the AU user account it will not report to your file anymore.

AU accounts do not report for 10 yrs like your own account. Once you are removed, it has no history.

Not necessarily true for all lenders. Some will completely remove the TL others will just report it as stated (terminated) and then it remains on file for up to 10 years post termination month/year.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well blah!  So much for that idea then.  I guess I will just sit tight until we get a house.  After that, watch out.  I want to feel all the love too lol

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Well blah!  So much for that idea then.  I guess I will just sit tight until we get a house.  After that, watch out.  I want to feel all the love too lol

Why sit tight?  By the time you can get a house, the "new" NFCU won't be so new anymore.   It takes months/years for most people to find the house they're actually gonna buy.

Just apply for the damn thing and no need to do anything else. 

NFCU will give you a credit card as long as you have a pulse.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gdale6 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Not necessarily true for all lenders. Some will completely remove the TL others will just report it as stated (terminated) and then it remains on file for up to 10 years post termination month/year.

I disagree with this, If they did do that I am pretty sure you could dispute that info... It is not your account and you did not sign anything for it. I have never heard of a AU account staying on the non account holders (AU) credit report after the AU was removed.

Message 7 of 8
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

People have had mixed results.  Never hearing of something doesn't necessarily mean that it doesn't exist.  It could mean an issue with your sample data size.

@Anonymous wrote:

Any thoughts??

AAoA is 15%

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/whatsinyourscore.aspx

and NFCU is pretty lenient.  IMO worst case you get a denial and reasons to work on.  It could be worth a shot to remove yourself as an AU and dispute if not removed from your reports.  Your call to make based on your priorities and preferences.  

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.