Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AAoA-close or not to close old CAP1 Plat

tag
maxq
Regular Contributor

AAoA-close or not to close old CAP1 Plat

Ok gang, this might sound like a dumb question but I've been toying around with the possibility of closing one of my oldest accounts a CAP1 Platinum Visa, age 11y 4m.

This card has a $29AF and really was set up to help get my credit back after a BK. Outside of my AMEX BCP it is the only card with an AF that I have.

I don't really use the card that much just pull it out every 6-10months and put a charge or two on it.

Since it's one of my older accounts I feel like if I close it that it would hurt my AAoA. Currently these are my cards with age:

Chase-12y 2m

CapOne- 11y 4m

CITI- 9y 5m

BOA- 7y

PNC- 1y 10m

AMEX- 9m

CITI DC- 1m

CapOne QS- 1m

So AAoA is about 6 years. I'm not looking for a mortgage or even a car loan soon. Maybe a car loan later this year or next year. I don't know if I'll ever try to get a house again. So how bad would it hurt to close the account and would you guys do it?

I'd love to do a PC but don't think I can on this account. I'd consider trying to consolidate both CAPOne accounts but my new QS is only 1 month old and not sure I'd be able to do it anyway once the 6 month period rolls around. So I'm left to either keep it open helping my AAoA or close it and more likely dropping score a little. This seems like a dumb question I know but I am looking for some guidance. It probably won't hurt me that bad I guess. I've added new accounts and they will age together so a little patience and watering will be better in long run.

Sorry for dumb question but hate to make the wrong decision and I enjoy reading my fellow fico'ers opinions. Smiley Happy

Goal of 825+ Gardening since 05/05/2017
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: AAoA-close or not to close old CAP1 Plat

AAoA is not affected by the closing of a card 

Since it will remain on CR's for up to 10 years 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 10
DoroLucky
Valued Contributor

Close it as it has served its purpose and it shouldn't affect your AAOA because it will still be on your reports. However it might your UTIL because your overall CL will decrease.

Have you looked into combining accounts? I would try combining it with my QS1 which will bring your total limit on that to $14,800. That way you wont lose that cushion. And Cap1 will close it anyway once you combine...WIN WIN!

TCL= $172,800
6-7-16: EQ 683 EX 713 TU 715
10-12-16 EQ 685 EX 706 TU 702 12-19-16 EQ 683 EX 704 TU 701 and CHILLING ON ICE...BRRRRR!
In the garden as of 6-7-16, I've been really really BADDDDD Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

Message 3 of 10
maxq
Regular Contributor

Much appreciated guys...I would try to consolidate but again because my QS account is only 1 month old I cannot touch it. I think it's best to just close the account and move on. It served it's purpose for sure. One less card to worry about pulling out of the SD Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 10
DoroLucky
Valued Contributor

Right you can't touch it and I'm not telling you to touch it lol However, if both accounts are $0 and haven't been late, you should be able to combine the OLDEST card into the QS1 (not the other way), thus closing the Plat and leaving the QS1 open.
TCL= $172,800
10-12-16 EQ 685 EX 706 TU 702 12-19-16 EQ 683 EX 704 TU 701 and CHILLING ON ICE...BRRRRR!
In the garden as of 6-7-16, I've been really really BADDDDD Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldn't close an old account. You can have it upgraded so there's no monthly fee.

I upgraded my old quiclsilver one to quick silver and it has no fee now, when the limit is over 5K you can turn it into a World Mastercard or signature Visa depending on what it is now.

when your new capital one is 6 month old, combine the two (move the credit line to the old one and close the new one-assuming you were able to upgrade it to no fee account)

Capital One is more flexible in allowing you to change products than any other bank.

Message 6 of 10
maxq
Regular Contributor

Yeah no dice on getting changed to no AF account. Also account is under 5k. I have a reg QS account not a QS1 so a consolidation wouldn't work even if account was 6months old. I just closed it so no sweat. Moving on

Message 7 of 10
DoroLucky
Valued Contributor

Sorry it didn't work out!
TCL= $172,800

Message 8 of 10
NRB525
Super Contributor

@maxq wrote:

Yeah no dice on getting changed to no AF account. Also account is under 5k. I have a reg QS account not a QS1 so a consolidation wouldn't work even if account was 6months old. I just closed it so no sweat. Moving on

Ok, so it's closed, that's done.

The other poster's reference to Quicksilver One is only to point out it is possible to go from an AF card to no-AF Quicksilver, not that QS1 only converts to QS. I converted a no AF Platinum to QS last year.

To clarify for data points, did you actually ask Capital One if you could convert the AF Platinum to a no-AF QS? And they said no? Or no ask?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 9 of 10
maxq
Regular Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@maxq wrote:

Ok, so it's closed, that's done.

The other poster's reference to Quicksilver One is only to point out it is possible to go from an AF card to no-AF Quicksilver, not that QS1 only converts to QS. I converted a no AF Platinum to QS last year.

To clarify for data points, did you actually ask Capital One if you could convert the AF Platinum to a no-AF QS? And they said no? Or no ask?

Yes I did check with them previously and it was a no on waiving fee and no on a PC. Probably early last week. Not sure why but seemed I couldn't do anything with this account. I am not sure if it had anything to do with the fact I recently opened a QS account. Probably not but just an odd thing. I've heard of others consolidating and PC but couldn't seem to get this done.

Thanks for asking. Just wish I could have done something since it was an old account.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.