Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AAoA question

tag
tryingagain62
Contributor

AAoA question

I'm relatively new to this forum (I love it and have learned a bunch so far). I've acquired some new cards recently and I'm thinking of closing a couple of rebuilder/starter cards. First up is an Applied secured card that has a $0 balance, it is also my oldest card. I know that it will stay on my CR for 10 years, but will it affect my AAoA if I close it?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
watch44
Frequent Contributor

Re: AAoA question

I also have a lot of closed accounts on my CR. My AAoA of 12 years is with me having 0 open revolving at the time. Cat Happy

But it should drop next month since I opened 4 new accounts. Cat Sad

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Closing-Aged-Accounts-Yes-It-Is-Ok/m-p/15... 

[Edit: I'm not confused anymore]

(Hover over pics for details) 
FICO:  TU 731 (05/14/14)   EX 749 (04/24/14)   EQ 684 (02/05/14)   Goal 700
FAKO:  TU 761 (05/20/14)   EX 761 (05/20/14)   EQ 743 (05/20/14)
Message 2 of 6
SuperKirby
Established Contributor

@tryingagain62 wrote:

I'm relatively new to this forum (I love it and have learned a bunch so far). I've acquired some new cards recently and I'm thinking of closing a couple of rebuilder/starter cards. First up is an Applied secured card that has a $0 balance, it is also my oldest card. I know that it will stay on my CR for 10 years, but will it affect my AAoA if I close it?

Does your secured card have an annual fee?

Message 3 of 6
tryingagain62
Contributor

Yes, it has a $39 AF and the CL is $250. I know this card will not increase a lot and I already have cards with much higher limits that will keep growing.

Message 4 of 6
SuperKirby
Established Contributor

@tryingagain62 wrote:

Yes, it has a $39 AF and the CL is $250. I know this card will not increase a lot and I already have cards with much higher limits that will keep growing.

If you have other unsecured cards with higher CL, then just cancel the secured card. The $39 AF is not worth it long term. You already got your foot in the door with unsecured cards.

Message 5 of 6
SPreb
Regular Contributor

@tryingagain62 wrote:

Closing it will not affect AAoA as long as it stays on your CR. There is a possibility that if you apply for any new credit they may frown on the the open accounts being too new. Does your other rebuilder have an AF as well?

Starting Score: 620 Current Score: 709 Goal Score: 720
Gardening from 9/28/2013. Target: March 2014
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.