Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AAoA question

tag
jeffm4688
Frequent Contributor

AAoA question

I don't know fully know how to explain what exactly my questions are/is, but here goes my best shot.

I'm 23 and have a good array of cards, although if I hadn't defaulted on credit cards in 2012 I would be in a much better spot(as my income supports higher limit cards than what I have)

With that being said, I am currently in the garden. I have all three reports frozen using random pins that were mailed to me, and the letters are sitting in a safe deposit box so I won't be applying for a single card in at least 6+ months. However, when I do get new cards I'd ideally like to get my foot in the door with BoA/Amex/Citi. I'm in the process of using capital to maximize my fico score (paying down student loans to ~70%) & paying down my new jeep to 70% which will be done in a month or two.

My question is mainly with being added as an AU on an account which I can't seem to find the answer to.

If I get added on as an AU on a card that is say 10+ years old, what do I inherit? Some people say the full payment history, some say otherwise. I'm more curious about AAoA(does open date show up on my credit report? Does it show the date I was added as an AU or when the account was opened?) and if it will positivly affect it. & of course, if BoA, Amex or Citi even bother factoring AU accounts into their approval algorithm. 

FICO 12/2015 - EX 692 TU 685

FICO 10/2021 - EX 596 TU 605 EQ 600 - officially rebuilding.

What survived:
Amex HH - 1.5K | Amex Delta - 1K | Amex Bonvoy - 1.5K | Amex BRG - 3.5K | Amex BRG - 3.5K | Amex Business Cash- 2K | Amex Business Plus - 2K
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AAoA question

From what I've seen being added as an AU gives you that entire cards history. Whether that's good or bad depends on the card holders actions so I would really make sure they have been taking care of that card because it will strongly influence your CR if you don't have very many cards.
P.S My fiance had me as an AU and when I applied for an auto loan it didn't show up on my CR even though it was on there.
Message 2 of 3
taxi818
Super Contributor

Re: AAoA question

@Anonymous wrote:
From what I've seen being added as an AU gives you that entire cards history. Whether that's good or bad depends on the card holders actions so I would really make sure they have been taking care of that card because it will strongly influence your CR if you don't have very many cards.
P.S My fiance had me as an AU and when I applied for an auto loan it didn't show up on my CR even though it was on there.

Possibly. Maybe not. That's the main difference with fico 8. How they weight the AU. So it can with 10 year old card. It can hurt it as well if they don't count the full history. . But mostly it helps. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.