Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AAoA

tag
Sevenfeet
Regular Contributor

Re: AAoA

There willl always be things that bring your AAoA down (buying a new car for example) but app sprees are the easiest way to send that metric into the depths.  My AAoA before my app spree was 8 1/2 years.  It's down to 6 1/2 now with three new cards listed but 2 new cards yet to report.  I did get Amex to backdate my Platinum card from 1989 to 1988 to acknowledge the first Green card I got back then before switching to Gold in 1989.  I don't think it's going to make a substanstive difference, but hey, I'll take it.

Message 11 of 14
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@bs6054 wrote:

@thom02099 wrote:

In addition to  AAofA, your oldest account also is a contributor.  Hence the importance of AMEX backdating, particularly for those of us with "old" accounts (some older than some of the members here, LOL!).  Having older AMEX accounts, and getting new ones with that backdating certainly contributes to increasing that AAofA.  Wish more CCC would offer backdating... Smiley Sad

And I still don't get why Fico allow it, unless other issuers have a way to discount it when getting score or AAoA.   My BCP now has a member since 1987 date.

I believe I got a gold Amex around 1987, and dropped it by 1989 (not worth the fee).   I then picked up a Blue Sky in 2007, and converted to BCP in 2012.

In what way is this a consistent 26 year relationship, the great majority of that time I wasn't an Amex customer at all?   Maybe I should contact Barclays, I had a chequing account (in the UK)with them from 1977 to about 1987, so surely they can backdate my Barclays Reward card back to then?  (And when I think about it, I really did have the Barclaycard UK credit card in 1978, so a good case!)

Good points, it does make for an artificial AAofA.  My first AMEX account was in 1976 but AMEX couldn't find it to backdate to then, just 1991.  But as you said, I've actually spent more time NOT as an AMEX cardholder than as one!  It looks good on the cards to have it backdated, and certainly does benefit us users...but is it accurate and correct? 

Message 12 of 14
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

AAoA is a very small amount of the algorithm.  Compared to other abuses which exist in the system, Amex backdating is fairly trivial.

Anyone with more than a passing familiarity of credit reports can spot a backdated account easily.  This includes all lender underwriters: if it's a known quantity, it's easy to adjust for.  I suspect if someone's on the bubble, sort of like AU accounts, the backdate may be "discounted" resulting in a denial, but that simply my own estimation of how lenders factor it in.

When there's people who can hit 740+ after two years of credit history, it's not like my boosting a 660 to a 665 or even 670 at a swag from an excellent backdate is a big deal.

Certainly I think anything which undermines the system in any way winds up as a disservice to the consumer, and Amex backdating may fall into ithat; however, it's not hurting baby kittens.

        
Message 13 of 14
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@ Revelate- I agree and I believe it is why banks like Chase do not consider AU in their underwriting.
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.