Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADVICE FOR FIRST APP SPREE. SCORES ARE 650-670

tag
periferel
Established Member

ADVICE FOR FIRST APP SPREE. SCORES ARE 650-670

i am looking to get some credit now that i finally have a fico score after 6 months with a capitol one card ($200). it's actually reported 7 months and i've gone from around 550 to over 650. i have 2 hard inquiries one from cap 1 and 1 from barclays who i foolishly thought would accept me before i had a credit profile. i have 1 collections for $200 from a CA bc of an unpaid cable bill from TWC. i would have paid it but want it deleted completely and will wait until they will accept PFD. maybe this is wrong and i should pay it and gw but that will be after this app spree.

cliffs:

-650+ fico scores across the board

-2 inquiries, 1 collection

-7 months credit history (on time, low util)

-income is approx $24k

-can anyone advise me on which cc's will most likely accept me? i plan to b* after so HP's not a big issue

ps. also has anyone with limited credit history/average credit gotten a quicksilverone recently?

scores 9/25/2020 between 670-685
cap1 QUICKSILVER $1,100 DISCOVER $1,100 CSP $7,900 FREEDOM FLEX $8,100
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Ron1
Super Contributor

Re: ADVICE FOR FIRST APP SPREE. SCORES ARE 650-670

7 months of credit history is too short. The negative might give lower your chance to get approved for cc. You should wait at least a year to apply ffor any card. 

Ron.

Message 2 of 19
Ron1
Super Contributor

Try Walmart, if you're really one. You might get $100-$200.

Ron.

Message 3 of 19
myjourney
Super Contributor

@periferel wrote:

i am looking to get some credit now that i finally have a fico score after 6 months with a capitol one card ($200). it's actually reported 7 months and i've gone from around 550 to over 650. i have 2 hard inquiries one from cap 1 and 1 from barclays who i foolishly thought would accept me before i had a credit profile. i have 1 collections for $200 from a CA bc of an unpaid cable bill from TWC. i would have paid it but want it deleted completely and will wait until they will accept PFD. maybe this is wrong and i should pay it and gw but that will be after this app spree.

cliffs:

-650+ fico scores across the board

-2 inquiries, 1 collection

-7 months credit history (on time, low util)

-income is approx $24k

-can anyone advise me on which cc's will most likely accept me? i plan to b* after so HP's not a big issue

ps. also has anyone with limited credit history/average credit gotten a quicksilverone recently?

CAP1 pulls all 3 for approvals so I suspect you have 2 more INQ, on other files and if applying for quicksilver you would get 3 more just an FYI

With such a thin file I would wait until you have a year of history for best results.

What cards would you like cashback / travel ? 

Do you shop at Walmart the free Fico score along with gas may interest you at this point in your journey?

Chase is probably out they want to see the 1 year history I mentioned earlier.

Discover is a hit or miss IMHO

Citi is hard to crack even with a seasoned file YMMV

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 19
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

With only a seven month history and a collection account on the reports I don't think you should be going on any application sprees at all. Perhaps open one more card, but you do not stand much of a chance to open multiple cards. Opening new accounts will hurt even more and bring the scores down if you care about that. I believe the collection would also hinder getting approved for more credit. Perhaps someone with experience in the collection area can comment on it, but I don't see why you don't just pay it. If they haven't accepted to remove it yet it will just keep hurting you when an underwriter looks at it.

Message 5 of 19
periferel
Established Member

your right capitol one did in fact hit 2 or 3 bureuas if i remeber correctly but i counted it as 1 my mistake. i asked about the quickilver one bc they said it was for avg credit. i just noticed my credit score jump 30 pts a month or so ago and im assuming its bc i hit the 6 month mark. since that shot my score to "average" i'm just really excited to see what cards i can get. after i get them i do plan on holding off until i have 1-2 years history before getting any keeper cards. isn't it also good for your credit scores to have several revolving accounts? my AAoA wont be affected too bad for long bc i only have 7 months anyway.

Message 6 of 19
periferel
Established Member

also i heard discove it is the easiest, correct me if im wrong. and yes i will apply for walmart and amazon, ty for the suggestions. is target a possibility?

Message 7 of 19
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

@periferel wrote:

cliffs:

-650+ fico scores across the board Keep in mind, every succesive app will likely lower you score more making you less likely to get approved

-2 inquiries, 1 collection A collection, along with a low-ish (650) score makes approvals less likely. Collection must be fairly new, as history is only 7 mos long

-7 months credit history (on time, low util) Most major CC's like to see a year of clean history

-income is approx $24k Income is on the low end, so along with factors above, likely hood of approval is low

-can anyone advise me on which cc's will most likely accept me? i plan to b* after so HP's not a big issue - Talk about this will get your post deleted

In a nutshell, you are not ready for a "spree" (sorry, you asked). Your history is too short, and you have a collection on your history. If anything, if you get one card, just use it and make on time payments for at least 6 months before apping for anything else. How old is the collection (I am assuming fairly new, as you state history is only 7 months long). If you are approved, I would think your limits for most cards will be fairly low.

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 8 of 19
SSA_2013
Frequent Contributor

@periferel wrote:

also i heard discove it is the easiest, correct me if im wrong. and yes i will apply for walmart and amazon, ty for the suggestions. is target a possibility?

If I may ask...do you have any specific reason as to why you want to apply so quickly? It seems like you are more interested in adding any and every possible tradeline. In any event, to answer your questions: 

1) Target - Usually high approval odds but always a low credit line that never moves. 

2) Walmart - Quite an easy approval + FICO benefit 

3) Discover - (If the TWC collection is new I would pass on Discover) Short History + collectio just sounds unlikley. 

4) Amazon - They seem to be one of the hardest GE cards to obtain. They usually give about a $700-$1,100 limit but are good with reconing limits + fast growth. 

5) Chase, Citi, Amex, US Bank - I would forget about all of them at this point. They are very picky, like at least 1 year of history, the collection will not help, etc. 

6. Commenity Bank cards might get you an approval. I heard about a recent Myrewards Visa or something like that. I don't think you should apply for any other store cards so I would recommend a major credit card so you don't end up having to do extended spending/debt to show activity. With Visa/MasterCard/Discover you can actually get what you will anyways and pay it off. 

Keep us posted on what you decide to app for and the results. Good luck!

Message 9 of 19
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Welcome to the forum! The advice given has been excellent. I would work on getting the baddie removed and by the end of the year maybe you'll be ready for one or two cc's. I'd consider looking into a CU too.

Also, emptypockets is correct, referencing unethical, illegal or fraudulent tactics will get your post deleted.

Good luck!
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.