cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADVICE PLEASE -- Which card should I get?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

ADVICE PLEASE -- Which card should I get?

Hello everyone! I'd very much appreciate some advice and thoughts on this:

I have a 725 FICO score, 80k income, no baddies ever, oldest account 7 years.  I have a Bank Americard Cash Rewards Visa (7k limit) and a Chase Sapphire Preferred (16.9k), the latter one I just got 3 months ago. 

Just recently I've been on a mission to improve my score as high as possible. I will request a credit limit increase with BofA, which I will surely get, but which other credit card should I get?  I already have an awesome travel card like the Sapphire and a pretty decent cash back like the BofA..... which one should be my next move?

I appreciate the input!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Re: ADVICE PLEASE -- Which card should I get?

What do you like to use rewards for? Are you looking for a generous bonus or something long term? Are you ok with another AF?
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@B335is wrote:
What do you like to use rewards for? Are you looking for a generous bonus or something long term? Are you ok with another AF?

my bad.... should have been a bit more specific.  Since I have the Chase Sapphire (which I use a ton for work travel) I would be more interested in a Cash Rewards card. The Blue Cash Preferred sounded interesting since it has better rewards than my BofA Cash Rewards. I don't mind an AF at all, especially if I can get it back easily by using the card.  But in general terms I am VERY open.... just curious to see what people recommend I do already having Sapphire and BofA Cash REwards. Thanks!

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

What's your average monthly spend?  Better yet, can you break it down by category?

Specifically for the BCP...if you spend, on average, more than $200 weekly on groceries then this card is worth paying the annual fee for; otherwise better to go with BCE.

Message 4 of 9
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

There's actually a decent offer (30k) for Amex Everyday Preferred out there. You might have to clear your history and cookies to get it to populate. It gives 3x points on supermarkets.
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

What's your average monthly spend?  Better yet, can you break it down by category?

Specifically for the BCP...if you spend, on average, more than $200 weekly on groceries then this card is worth paying the annual fee for; otherwise better to go with BCE.

Approximate monthly expenses:

Groceries:  $20 weekly (lunch is offered at my work and I live with bf who uses BCP for groceries for both, hence my low grocery expense)

Travel (flight+hotels):  $1,000 - $2,000 monthly ..... using the Chase Sapphire for this to rack up points

Clothing:  $50 monthly

Gas:  $50 monthly

Other (rent, etc):  $800 monthly

TOTAL MONHTLY EXPENSES:  $2,880 - $3,880

Message 6 of 9
barthooper
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Approximate monthly expenses:

Groceries:  $20 weekly (lunch is offered at my work and I live with bf who uses BCP for groceries for both, hence my low grocery expense)

Travel (flight+hotels):  $1,000 - $2,000 ..... using the Chase Sapphire for this to rack up points

Clothing:  $50 monthly

Gas:  $50 monthly

Other (rent, etc):  $800 monthly

TOTAL MONHTLY EXPENSES:  $2,880 - $3,880

IMO since your major category is travel and CSP already covers that I think you should get a card with a flat cashback rate as a catchall, as the other categories don't amount to much. Look into Capital One's Quicksilver (1.5%) or Citi Double Cash (2%, but you get the second 1% by paying off the balance).

Quicksilver - 16k | Discover It - 34k | Citi DC - $21k | Chase Amazon - 8k | Chase Reserve - 19.5k | Chase Preferred - 5k | EX FICO (Discover CSC) 788
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hm...with those numbers I'd say CSP has you pretty well covered, honestly.  I know you said you wanted cash rewards, but if you were willing to branch out and go into rewards points then B335's suggestion of EDP would be pretty solid, assuming of course you can meet the 30 transactions per month minimum to get the bonus points.

Otherwise the only big category you have is other...maybe a general spend card would fit you best.  I'm thinking Citi DC for the 2% cash back.

Also, do you have any BoA checking/savings accounts?  If so (and you have $20,000+ sitting around in them) I would highly recommend signing up for the free Preferred Rewards...instead of the 10% bonus back you'll get from your BoA card for redeeming into a BoA account you can get 25/50/75% bonus back, which makes the BoA cash rewards even more useful for you.

EDIT: your monthly spend breakdown doesn't seem to add up to your total monthly spend number; is there a category missing?

Message 8 of 9
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

I guess for $20 per week on groceries I'd also look at the Citi DC as others have said. It's a good flat cash back card.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.