cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADVICE please on purging credit cards....

tag
odd_dog
Valued Contributor

Re: ADVICE please on purging credit cards....

@Anonymous wrote:

I closed 5 Synchrony cards last year of 39k all on the same day.  Didn't receive a peep from other lenders and still continued to get normal CLI's, etc.

Only thing I would suggest is combine limits where you can.

Thanks Wave that is good to know....I am also trying to lower my overall exposure, as of now I am at 356,000 overall, so I do want that down a bit also.....

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fair enough Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 14
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

@odd_dog wrote:

So I am going through a "thinning of the herd" with my credit card portfolio, I have a list of about  5 cards that are going bye, bye. I have cancelled two within two weeks and I have three more I want to delete. My question for those in the know is, should I slow down closing these accounts, or can I get rid of them quickly? Does it look bad on reports, and will that make my other lenders "skittish"?  I am not worried about my util, AAoA or even getting new cards (I am in the garden). I just do not want to spook my existing banks...what you think? Thanks in advance for your advice.....

You have an outstanding portfilio! I do not think it will hurt anything to trim the trees so to speak.

A few years back when I was more active on these forums, I built a portfilio with way too many cards. But, at that time, it was a lot of fun.  Smiley Very Happy

Fast forward to today, I have gotten rid of what I figured I would not need (and have not missed them at all). We still have a nice portfolio that works well for us. Rather than 25 with low limits, we have 15 with very high limits. As I remember, at the high point, our portfolio was about $462,000 in available credit. Never carry a balance... I think today we are at $375,000 or so...

Big picture, getting rid of cards did no harm at all. I say, go for it!

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 13 of 14
odd_dog
Valued Contributor

@RockinRay wrote:

@odd_dog wrote:

So I am going through a "thinning of the herd" with my credit card portfolio, I have a list of about  5 cards that are going bye, bye. I have cancelled two within two weeks and I have three more I want to delete. My question for those in the know is, should I slow down closing these accounts, or can I get rid of them quickly? Does it look bad on reports, and will that make my other lenders "skittish"?  I am not worried about my util, AAoA or even getting new cards (I am in the garden). I just do not want to spook my existing banks...what you think? Thanks in advance for your advice.....

You have an outstanding portfilio! I do not think it will hurt anything to trim the trees so to speak.

A few years back when I was more active on these forums, I built a portfilio with way too many cards. But, at that time, it was a lot of fun.  Smiley Very Happy

Fast forward to today, I have gotten rid of what I figured I would not need (and have not missed them at all). We still have a nice portfolio that works well for us. Rather than 25 with low limits, we have 15 with very high limits. As I remember, at the high point, our portfolio was about $462,000 in available credit. Never carry a balance... I think today we are at $375,000 or so...

Big picture, getting rid of cards did no harm at all. I say, go for it!

Thanks so much! Looks like you have handled things well!! I agree after awhile you have to look at your portfolio and just jettison what you are not using, when you have a lot of cards the sock drawer just looks like trouble waiting to happen (fraud, identity theft) if you don't use it, you don't need it, and if your needs change I see no reason not to discard and move on to cards that will work for you......

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.