Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AF Levied without knowing

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AF Levied without knowing

So a little history is necessary - my wife has had this card for a long time but the terms kind of sucked. There was no AF so we decided to "shoebox" the card. Back in January we moved and, well, my wife understandably forgot to change the address on the card since we don't use it any more. In March, they initiated a $45 AF, it was posted to the account on April, and it was due on June 12th. We didn't know about it until we were called about having late payments on the account (saying we owed $75, $45 AF + 30 in fees). Fearing what they would do on the credit report, I bargained with them to remove the fees and paid off the AF. Was there any other option? Are there any protections for the consumer from this? They said they mailed a notice, but obviously we never got it because of the change in location -- and we were beyond the "30 day opt out period".
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AF Levied without knowing

What sort of consumer protections are you looking for in that situation?  Sorry to say this, but it was your responsibility to keep your credit card issuers informed of your current address.  That is a part of using your credit responsibly and is as important as making payments on time.

You were fortunate that they removed the late fees for you.  What else were you hoping for as far as "protections" go?

Message Edited by cheddar on 06-27-2008 11:48 AM
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.