cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ALL Discover card owners - FREEZE!!!!

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: ALL Discover card owners - FREEZE!!!!

@Anonymous wrote:
It's been available in the "manage my cards" section for a while. They just started pushing publicity of this "new" feature.

And while it is certainly a convenient feature, I don't think I would put it in say the top 20 criteria for chosing a particular credit card.  

US Bank offered to put a temporary freeze on a card I had lost today.   But since you are not liable anyway, it doesn't hurt to spend some time looking, and then reporting it when you are pretty sure it is gone.

Message 21 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you guys saying that this isn't a new feature sure you aren't thinking of activate/deactivate vs the freeze/unfreeze?  It's technically two different things although it works almost the same way.  Activate/deactivate has always been there as long as I've been a cardholder, but freeze/unfreeze is new.

Temporarily deactivating your card prevents in-store purchases at point-of-sale terminals. You can still make online and phone purchases, and automatic bill payments will continue.You can reactivate your card right here at any time.

Temporarily freezing your account means Discover will not authorize new purchases, cash advances or balance transfers.

• Your account number will not change
  • You should continue to pay your bill and manage your account online or by mobile app

Some activity on your account will continue, including bills that merchants mark as recurring, as well as returns, credits,
dispute adjustments, payments, Discover protection product fees, other account fees, interest, rewards redemptions and 
certain other exempted transactions.

Simply unfreeze your account, at any time, to turn everything back on.

Message 22 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't worry, OP. I, too, believed that it was a new feature. If it's been around for awhile like others say, I guess I just never noticed it. So I'm really glad discover has been advertising it, otherwise I probably wouldn't have known about it. It's nice to have the option.

Message 23 of 27
onstar
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
It's been available in the "manage my cards" section for a while. They just started pushing publicity of this "new" feature.

I log into Discover web portal about 100 times a month. Yeah, I'm one of those people. I go to that Manage My Cards page a lot since I have 3 different active cards (no AU; all for me; different card designs). That page only showed (and still only shows) Temporarily Deactivate this Card. While it functions similarly as Freezing, it is not the same thing for two reasons:

(1) You cannot deactivate your original Discover card (Card Sequence ID: A001).

(2) The temporarily deactivating a card is on a card-by-card basis.

When you Freeze, you are freezing usage on the account level, so ALL your cards become temporarily deactivated.

Maybe things are different in some of your accounts. This is how it is in my account. When I only had the one card, I could not temporarily deactivate it. There was no option for that. Only when I got the second card did I see the link to temporarily deactivate, but only on the second card. When I got the third card, this option appeared for the third card as well. I probably could have called in to temporarily deactivate the first card if I wanted to.

Now, the Freezing does not really improve much upon the existing features, but the Freezing aspect is still something new. 

@longtimelurker wrote:

And while it is certainly a convenient feature, I don't think I would put it in say the top 20 criteria for chosing a particular credit card.  

Ditto & Ditto.

BK DC 4/9/2018
FICO 08 (4/9/2018): EQ 647 EX 609 TU 620
FICO 08 (10/16/2020): EQ 676 EX 659 TU 653
Message 24 of 27
Boragard
Established Contributor

I noticed the freeze option online back in 2013 when I got IT.  I don't know why it's considered "new" of a sudden.

Message 25 of 27
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Alright. so I see what happened here.

discover used to have a function (which I think is what most of us who "knew" about freeze were talking about) where you could go into "manage cards" and "freeze" the card. they've renamed this as "temporarily deactivate your card" and changed the "freeze" term to mean the whole account.

so discover has always had a freeze option, they just slightly changed the way it works. Smiley Very Happy

Message 26 of 27
04Cobra
Frequent Contributor

Looks like I need to download this app now

Discover $21k | Venture $20k | Quicksilver $15k | NICU Rewards MC $13.5k | Costco $14.5k | Citi Costco $12.5k | Chase Sapphire Reserve $10k | Barclay Apple $9.6k | Best Buy MC $10k | Merrick Bank Visa (formerly Hooters) $2.6k |
Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.