Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMERICAN EX PREPAID CARD HELPIN PREAPOVAL FOR CHARGE. CARD

tag
arredondo3417
Valued Member

AMERICAN EX PREPAID CARD HELPIN PREAPOVAL FOR CHARGE. CARD

Well I heard many rumors about the American express prepaid card helping users of such a card to get preaproval for a charge card. And I also find this info on this link http://www.bankrate.com/financing/credit-cards/a-learners-permit-for-credit/. Ok since I know. Many of you all have American express. Should know better if it is true or not please let me know thanks for the time guys
Seedling:
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: AMERICAN EX PREPAID CARD HELPIN PREAPOVAL FOR CHARGE. CARD

@arredondo3417 wrote:
Well I heard many rumors about the American express prepaid card helping users of such a card to get preaproval for a charge card. And I also find this info on this link http://www.bankrate.com/financing/credit-cards/a-learners-permit-for-credit/. Ok since I know. Many of you all have American express. Should know better if it is true or not please let me know thanks for the time guys

It's too early to tell how this program is working because it hasn't been around long enough. They basically say 6 months they will SP you and see if your eligible. In a few more months, I'd imagine people will start piping up with offers if its legit.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 15
buildingitbackup
Regular Contributor

Bump. Just signed up for one before I read this thread.

Starting Score: <600 & No Score 2/2011
Current Score EQ : 726
Current Score (TU Walmart): 676
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 15
archieb
Established Member

On their own site, there was a bullet point within the specifics of the Make Your Move Program. It said something to the effect of only helping new people to credit, not people with past credit mishaps.  I was disapointed when I read it.

Starting Score:(3/2012) EQ 604,TU98 560
Current Score: (4/2012) EQ 612,TU98 595
Goal Score: 700

Message 4 of 15
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@archieb wrote:

On their own site, there was a bullet point within the specifics of the Make Your Move Program. It said something to the effect of only helping new people to credit, not people with past credit mishaps.  I was disapointed when I read it.

Oh hrm, I'm nearly 100% confident that wasn't there when they released the program.  Have to see if I can find an old Google cached copy or similar I guess if I care enough to do so.

Disappointing to say the least.

        
Message 5 of 15
buildingitbackup
Regular Contributor

I want to point something else out that didn't sit right with me at first.  I couldn't figure out why AMEX would advertise for you to use Direct Deposit on a Prepaid card.  I know all of this is speculation.  Do you think its due to income verification purposes down the road when you apply for a charge card?

Starting Score: <600 & No Score 2/2011
Current Score EQ : 726
Current Score (TU Walmart): 676
Goal Score: 750

Message 6 of 15
Open123
Super Contributor

@buildingitbackup wrote:

I want to point something else out that didn't sit right with me at first.  I couldn't figure out why AMEX would advertise for you to use Direct Deposit on a Prepaid card.  I know all of this is speculation.  Do you think its due to income verification purposes down the road when you apply for a charge card?

Possibly, but I'd imagine the main reason is that funds orignating from a DD have a much lesser chance of being fraudulent or have the transaction reversed.  For instance, when you make a transfer from your bank, it is possible for the funds to be "bad," such as from "check kiting" or "forged check" that erroneously cleared etc...

Message 7 of 15
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Open123 wrote:

@buildingitbackup wrote:

Possibly, but I'd imagine the main reason is that funds orignating from a DD have a much lesser chance of being fraudulent or have the transaction reversed.  For instance, when you make a transfer from your bank, it is possible for the funds to be "bad," such as from "check kiting" or "forged check" that erroneously cleared etc...

Add that to the fact they have other uses for the money while it's sitting in your account (reserve requirements et. al).  That's the primary reason why effectively every banking institution now offers benefits if you have a direct deposit setup to one of their accounts.  Amex FSB is no different than BofA in this regard.

        
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just signed up for this card, lets see if I recieve any offers in 6 months! 

Message 9 of 15
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I just signed up for this card, lets see if I recieve any offers in 6 months! 

With your scores, you shouldn't need a prepaid.....

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.