Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMERICAN EXPRESS

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMERICAN EXPRESS

Does AMEX pull experian in california?  Do they use the Vantage score or do they use that internal scoring system? 

If it's the internal, how is this based? 

What would my Vantage of 715 be equiv to their internal score?

Thank you

Kris

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Chopbrocoli
Established Contributor

Re: AMERICAN EXPRESS

Majority of the time, EX, however sometimes they may feel to pull all 3. They use a proprietary customized risk score. I do know for a fact that they are VERY sensitive to debt to credit ratio along with collection accounts and derogs.
AMEX Gold Premier Rewards | SPG AMEX | Bank of America Power Rewards | Merrill Plus | United Presidential Plus | Saks World Elite
Message 2 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

They pull Experian.

They don't use Vantage. They definitely use their own internal guidelines, and probably EX FICO in addition.

No telling how Vantage or even FICO would compare to their internal score, which might well involve chicken innards and planetary vibration, for all we can tell.

Back in the day, was your EX FICO close to your EX TU or EQ? If so, and if the reports are still pretty similar, that's a better guide than trying to figure out anything compared to a Vantage score.

If I were you, I'd hold off on AmEx for now. You just got your Nordstrom's, which is a fantastic card (and will probably be more beneficial to you than an AmEx.)

*** just looked, and I see that I had an 874 Vantage score back in April. My last known EX FICO was 731 in February, so my Vantage score looked to be a good 130-140 points higher than the real thing.

AmEx is currently loving many of their long-term customers (trying to save some our regulars the time and effort of posting, lol), but I would definitely not go anywhere near them while just coming out of the rebuilding process. Keep growing what you have, and be patient. You want CCC's to come looking for you, not vice versa. Smiley Wink
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hauling,

Great!  Thank you for clearing that up for me.  I would eventally love to become a green cardholder.  I have a long time to wait still. 

I look forward to my nordie card...............gosh do i Smiley Happy

Thanks alot,

kris

Message 4 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Now that you have a Nordie's card, would you pleeeeeease ask them to build one closer than 300 miles away from where I live?????

Cripes, we don't even have a Macy's. Or a Costco. How pitiful is that?
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 9
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

No telling how Vantage or even FICO would compare to their internal score, which might well involve chicken innards and planetary vibration, for all we can tell.

HTSU: If I go buy a package of chicken gizzards, a crystal and maybe go see a santeria priestess do you think my chances of being approved for an AMEX card will improve?

Message 6 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

HTSU: If I go buy a package of chicken gizzards, a crystal and maybe go see a santeria priestess do you think my chances of being approved for an AMEX card will improve?

No, but your chances of predicting success might increase a tad!

We all used to comment how it didn't seem that they knew what they wanted in customers. (This was back in the days of a couple dozen cards, many of them affinity cards, and people got the weaker cards and back-doored into the better cards.) Looks like they've finally figured out what they want! --aka old skool American Express customers.
Message 7 of 9
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Now that you have a Nordie's card, would you pleeeeeease ask them to build one closer than 300 miles away from where I live?????

Cripes, we don't even have a Macy's. Or a Costco. How pitiful is that?

Yeah, but you've got a WalMart. Your not supposed to need/want anything else!

(I am walking distance from Macys/Neiman Marcus/Dillards. That has to hurt!  Smiley Wink )

Message 8 of 9
DI
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Does AMEX pull experian in california?  Do they use the Vantage score or do they use that internal scoring system? 

If it's the internal, how is this based? 

What would my Vantage of 715 be equiv to their internal score?

Thank you

Kris

If those are your recent FICO scores, your risk score with AMEX may not get you approve.  I was declined, and then approve a month later.  I had them to review my credit report rather than base my approval on a risk score.

They pulled my Experian report.

Message Edited by DI on 08-18-2009 07:56 AM
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.