Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX 35% Bonus on Virgin America Transfer

tag
IWOL
Established Contributor

AMEX 35% Bonus on Virgin America Transfer

I received inemIl from AMEX for a 35% Bonus offer on transfering MR to Virgin America.

Seems like a pretty good bonus to take advantage of.

Don't have any particular plans right now but will probably travel from LA to NY and Florida later in the year.

Only thing I've noticed about VA is their first class pricing is rediculous, usually like 10 times the price of economy.

Anyone use their "main cabin select" class or first and have any opinions on it?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX 35% Bonus on Virgin America Transfer

@IWOL wrote:

I received inemIl from AMEX for a 35% Bonus offer on transfering MR to Virgin America.

Don't have any particular plans right now but will probably travel from LA to NY and Florida later in the year.

Only thing I've noticed about VA is their first class pricing is rediculous, usually like 10 times the price of economy.

Anyone use their "main cabin select" class or first and have any opinions on it?

I dislike transferring MR points to VA because of their award restrictions and high fuel surcharges with most partner airlines.  I value BA miles much more highly and the 40% transfer to BA miles would make much more sense for me. However, it really comes down to whether or not you have a good use for VA miles. In general they are valued less than other transfer options, but with the bonus they can be a decent choice. Just make sure you have a plan for using the miles and that the redemption rates are decent. 

Message 2 of 4
IWOL
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@IWOL wrote:

I dislike transferring MR points to VA because of their award restrictions and high fuel surcharges with most partner airlines.  I value BA miles much more highly and the 40% transfer to BA miles would make much more sense for me. However, it really comes down to whether or not you have a good use for VA miles. In general they are valued less than other transfer options, but with the bonus they can be a decent choice. Just make sure you have a plan for using the miles and that the redemption rates are decent. 

Are you referring to Virgin Atlantic or Virgin America. The one thing I noticed about Virgin Ameirca is they have NO restrictions on award travel. If a seat is available you can use points to book it. 

You basically get a $0.02 per point value on VA. You can get a first class ticket from LA to Cancun for 54k points plus $76 fees. Would need 80k MR for that. Ticket cost is listed at $1206. That would give you a value of  $0.15 per MR.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@IWOL wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@IWOL wrote:

Are you referring to Virgin Atlantic or Virgin America. The one thing I noticed about Virgin Ameirca is they have NO restrictions on award travel. If a seat is available you can use points to book it. 

You basically get a $0.02 per point value on VA. You can get a first class ticket from LA to Cancun for 54k points plus $76 fees. Would need 80k MR for that. Ticket cost is listed at $1206. That would give you a value of  $0.15 per MR.

You are correct, I was referring to Virgin Atlantic. Not so sure about Virgin America as I have never dealt with them. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.