Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX 3X CLI best way?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX 3X CLI best way?

Whats the best way to do it? right at activation or wait the 60 days? also if i decide to do it at activation should i do it over the phone or do the whole thing online?

Thanks, all just got approved 2 days ago and the current CL is $3500 im just waiting for the card in the mail now.

Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX 3X CLI best way?

What is your score and would you be requesting a higher limit than you have already on another card? If your score is high and you have many cards with your new limit just go for it.

Otherwise unless you are in a hurry paying a few statements in full after making good use of the card will build trust with Amex that may give you an edge.

Message 2 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

My ficoscore is 657 EQ and 686 TU not sure about EX.

I am requesting a higher limit than any other card I have I currently have a credit union card with $5000 a sapphire with $5000 ( approved same day as Amex) the other cards a have are the same or Lower limits .
If I'm requesting a cli I wil request the max ( 3xcli)
Message 3 of 34
kdm31091
Super Contributor

"61 days" is no longer any more relevant than 23, 47, 82, or 141 days. It doesn't matter. You can ask/be approved or declined at any point.

More in line with your actual question though I am always a proponent of giving them some time and usage. Yes, people report success with asking right at activation sometimes, but I think showing history can only help you

Message 4 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Exactly , I think so too , the only problem is being able to contain myself I can tell you now that I most likely will not be able to wait to ask.

Do I call to activate and talk to someone or activate myself on their website and hit the luv button?
Message 5 of 34
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Youre going to have to wait for the card to be able to activate it and ask for the CLI
Message 6 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know that , but I'm not sure if I should call to activate and talk on the phone with a human or do everything electronically
Message 7 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

dude, dont do it. they have denied me twice for 3x cli's. And amex obviously doesnt hate me (all cards open since may/june).  I would say unless you have massive cards and history and something weird is weighing down your score, you should wait a few months and then request.

Message 8 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why are you a hurry? What do you need the limit for?

If it is just to have a great limit "because" that is an excellent reason, but in that case if I were you I would let FIVE full cycles complete, meaning statement cut, PIF, see payment marked complete on Amex site, before trying. If you can't wait five at least wait two.

Yes that is very conservative but why hurry? And with your scores being a little low some time in garden will help. Note that while Amex 3x CLI USUALLY is a SP the first time I did it Amex HP' all three bureaus. Second time I did it was a SP. But they can HP in borderline cases (I had very short credit history the first time).
Message 9 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Why are you a hurry? What do you need the limit for?

If it is just to have a great limit "because" that is an excellent reason, but in that case if I were you I would let FIVE full cycles complete, meaning statement cut, PIF, see payment marked complete on Amex site, before trying. If you can't wait five at least wait two.

Yes that is very conservative but why hurry? And with your scores being a little low some time in garden will help. Note that while Amex 3x CLI USUALLY is a SP the first time I did it Amex HP' all three bureaus. Second time I did it was a SP. But they can HP in borderline cases (I had very short credit history the first time).

hey, tomorrow get on your amazon store card page and click Chat. Askf or a 25k credit limit increase and they will counter. Based on your other limits I bet you will be shocked. Mine started at 800 back in april. By June it was at 6k.

Message 10 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.