cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX 3X CLI question.

tag
dmjohnson

Re: AMEX 3X CLI question.

I think that is the more sensible route. I would like to do it on the Delta card, as we are looking to start traveling more. I have already received my bonus miles and all that, but I would like to be able to use that card more than I do. I love the cash back on my BCE, but I also love the delta miles. For most of my very few adult years, my time was occupied by my race team, and there was never time for travel. Now that I am taking a break from that, we are looking to do more traveling.

Again, thank you all for the input!

Message 11 of 25
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

There are people who have gotten 3x while on credit steps. Medicgrrl's sister received such an increase while on credit steps so as always YMMVSmiley Wink
Message 12 of 25
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@AverageJoesCreditwrote:
There are people who have gotten 3x while on credit steps. Medicgrrl's sister received such an increase while on credit steps so as always YMMVSmiley Wink

Never hurts to try is what we're trying to say.

Message 13 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you go for it, report back Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 25
Caught750
Valued Contributor

Credit steps alone does not prohibit a CLI at 61 days. Per Amex in their own email explaining the steps it states "if a CLI is not granted earlier your credit line will be increased to $1,000"
PERSONAL; Amex | AOD FCU | BBVA | BECU | Capital 1 | Chase | Citi | Discover | Key | NFCU | PSECU | SECU MD | Synchrony | US Bank
BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
F8 Current F8s ~750 Best Ever F8s ~775
TOTAL PERSONAL CL > $350k and TCL > $365k
Message 15 of 25
dmjohnson

See, thats what I do not have. My email simply says "Find out how you can increase your credit line" then in the context says to make my first 5 monthly payments in time with at least the minumum, account needs to post a balance and pay in time, blah blah. My initial limit at acceptance is $1000, so if anyone else has had any experience, what did your limit go to with this program?

Message 16 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

IDK what "credit steps" is, or if I'me even on it with my BCE. When approved, I think it was a SL of 1500. Then after the 61 days I CLI'd to 4200.

Now I'm just waiting for the 181mark to see what happens. Though I did recently(3/17) apply for and get the PRG and Delta Gold cards.

I've heard I can still ask for the CLI on my BCE at 181. But the Delta Gold is not eligible for the 61 day CLI, I'll have to wait 181 days from my BCE CLI to increase it.

Message 17 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's an example of a "credit steps" e-mail reproduced in its entirety.  Pay close attention to the "fine print" at the bottom titled Terms & Conditions.  Unfortunately most people only read the main part of the e-mail and ignore the Terms & Conditions and that leads to confusion.

As far as I'm aware, the credit steps auto-CLI is always 2X. When you're in credit steps a CLI request made by the customer before 180 days will be denied.  However, Amex - at its discrection - can decide to give an auto-CLI before the first 180 days have expired.

Once you receive the auto-CLI specified in the e-mail you are out of the "credit steps" program and you can then immediately request a 3X CLI.  The distinction is that an auto-CLI from Amex - since it was not requested by the customer - does not preclude the recipient from making their own request for a 3X CLI (In other words, the 180 day rule is not in effect).

Here's someone who used a combination of Amex auto-CLI and customer intiated CLI requests to go from $2,000 to $18,000 in five days: AMEX from $2000 to $18000 in 5 days

Credit_Steps.png

Message 18 of 25
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Just to clarify, Credit Steps is a Capital One term for a similar program. Since AMEX doesn't give their program a name, we tend to also apply that term to AMEX. That's why it's generally put in quotes. If you were use the term while talking to AMEX customer servicer reps, they'd likely have no idea what you were talking about. Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't recall ever gettin an email like that, just one thta said welcome aboard. And confirmation of online accn't creation.

So I should wait for an auto CLI at 6 months, then submit another one myself? 

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.