Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX 3x CLI - Denied for BK???

tag
Slim1Der
Frequent Contributor

AMEX 3x CLI - Denied for BK???

Got approved for $2,500.00 back in July with a 6yr BK reporting. (There's a thread about it)

Tried the 3x CLI as soon as I had in it hand (as suggested). Got the 7-10 day message and later learned (through snail mail) that my request for CLI was denied due to credit score. It was 708 according to the denial letter. Oh well. I figured I'd give it 90+ days.

Tried recently thinking it'll be a slam dunk. I've been using it for everything and have made multiple payment each month and right before I pressed the love button paid it to a ZERO balance. Got the "we'll get back to you" message again. So I'm scratching my head about it.

I received a denial letter in the mail stating the reason for denial...DENIED DUE TO BK SHOWING ON MY CREDIT REPORT! **bleep**? Why would you give me an AMEX with a BK reporting then decline a CLI because of it?

Please explain!
EX - 751 EQ - 732 TU - 752
Over $200k in revolving credit lines
10% Overall UTI
BK Discharge Jan 2009
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: AMEX 3x CLI - Denied for BK???

@Slim1Der wrote:
Got approved for $2,500.00 back in July with a 6yr BK reporting. (There's a thread about it)

Tried the 3x CLI as soon as I had in it hand (as suggested). Got the 7-10 day message and later learned (through snail mail) that my request for CLI was denied due to credit score. It was 708 according to the denial letter. Oh well. I figured I'd give it 90+ days.

Tried recently thinking it'll be a slam dunk. I've been using it for everything and have made multiple payment each month and right before I pressed the love button paid it to a ZERO balance. Got the "we'll get back to you" message again. So I'm scratching my head about it.

I received a denial letter in the mail stating the reason for denial...DENIED DUE TO BK SHOWING ON MY CREDIT REPORT! **bleep**? Why would you give me an AMEX with a BK reporting then decline a CLI because of it?

Please explain!

They can let you in (especially if you IIB), but it doesn't mean your card will spring into CLI action like miracle-gro.  This is typically the experience of most individuals with a BK profile.  Bottom line, expect this card to grow very slowly until your BK is gone from your CRs.  Only time will tell how much your AmEx card will grow and varies by individual.

Message 2 of 11
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

^+1

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar wrote:

@Slim1Der wrote:

Please explain!

They can let you in (especially if you IIB), but it doesn't mean your card will spring into CLI action like miracle-gro.  This is typically the experience of most individuals with a BK profile.  Bottom line, expect this card to grow very slowly until your BK is gone from your CRs.  Only time will tell how much your AmEx card will grow and varies by individual.

+2

Message 4 of 11
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@FinStar wrote:

@Slim1Der wrote:

Please explain!

I have one almost as good - I got approved for my Green and BCP last April; the BCP with a $1k credit line with the highest APR.  At the time my credit score was 695, per the letter that came with the BCP.

I've tried three times to get a CLI, and each time I've been shot down due to "...previous negative experience with an American Express account".  This is referring to an account that was IIBK back in 2000 - 16 years ago!  It's been off my credit reports for ages, but as we all know Amex has a very long memory.  (FWIW, my credit score is now in the 700s)

I plan on closing the Green before the AF is due (I just haven't found a use for MR points) and I'm hoping that might help the situation with the BCP, but I'm not holding my breath.  I consider the BCP my 'grocery store card', and even with the 'toy' limit it is able to more than pay for itself.

With Amex, it seems to be either 'feast or famine' - they are either extremely generous or very stingy.  I 'second' that once your BK falls off your reports you might have better luck, but with all things 'Amex' there's certainly no guarantee (especially if you by some chance included them in your BK).

Edit:  found typo

Message 5 of 11
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Slim1Der wrote:

Please explain!

They do this all the time.  Give it six months to year.  Amex wants some history.

Signature needs updating
Message 6 of 11
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Slim1Der wrote:
Why would you give me an AMEX with a BK reporting then decline a CLI because of it?

Different bars/hoops to jump.  You qualified for an approval at the limit and APR, etc that you received.  The higher limit comes with tougher requirements.  You've bumped into the limitation of your credit profile in its current shape.

@Slim1Der wrote:
I've been using it for everything

Never rely on usage despite the popular meme,  It's always primarily credit profile and income.  Usage may play a small part in some situations but it will not make or break a CLI on its own nor will it overrule credit profile and income.  Cards with little usage can see large CLI's.  Cards with a lot of usage can see little to no CLI's.

It won't take long for your BK to fall off.  It may seem like a long time -- I've been there myself -- but you'll get to it.  Appreciate what you've accomplished with it on your reports.

Message 7 of 11
peaceonearth
Established Contributor

@Slim1Der wrote:

Please explain!

$2,500.00 is a high SL for someone with a Bankruptcy.

You are very Lucky AMEX gave you a card with $2,500 SL with BK still reporting. Even having an AMEX card with a $1,000 SL is better than nothing.

Message 8 of 11
JcT21
Frequent Contributor

got my first amex 1yr ago this month with a 2k CL.   the following march i got everday with a 10k limit.  and most recently i was approved for the hhonors card with a 2.8k limit.   ive been denied twice for cli's due to a bk-13 on file.  thankfully mine falls off in about 3 months.   i was told by a csr that i need to wait until the bk clears all 3 of my reports and then try for an increase.  she said as long as i maintain a good payment history and low utilization it shouldnt be a problem.  at the time i was denied, i had a 703 experian fico

fico scores - March 2024:
TU - 727 | EX - 732 | EQ - 736 |
TCL - 168K - UTIL - less than 1%
Message 9 of 11
taxi818
Super Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@Slim1Der wrote:

Please explain!

Hillarious. Hehehe. Robot tongue Tnat is what i was expecting when i got my Amex. Sadly instant denial on the Cli. Finally after a year got that puppy from $3500 to 20k. I did not have a BK. But i don't really understand Amex. My brother got his card same time i did. about 18 months ago. His was 1k. and his is still 1k. Don't get it.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.