Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX 3x CLI to 90k?

tag
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Re: AMEX 3x CLI to 90k?

Now that I think about it, I do have $30k in credit from Amex , and I had to provide no dox.
Got a $24,5k bce and 5.5k delta gold.

I might try for 29k on the bce or $16.5k on the delta
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 21 of 24
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@MustangSaluki wrote:

@ryanbush wrote:

@MustangSaluki wrote:

@ryanbush wrote:

@maceto wrote:
Over 35K they ask for tax return, not per card but total exposure. So 1 or 15 cards with Amex, over 35K it's show and tell. Same boat with tax returns as you, so my 30K x 3 is waiting for next year

That is inaccurate... My father has two AMEX credit cards both of them with Credit Lines well over 35k and he has never been asked to verify anything.  I know this because I manage all of his accounts as well as spending for his business.

Yes, agree that it may not be definitive like that, but increased probablility for sure. Like Lexie said, it is a YMMV.

Having said that, I was always curious since I think I have seen you post this before. Are these two Amex accounts personal or business? Plat and PRG can be converted into an option for pay it over time. The conversion causes a virtual limit to be placed as if it were revolving accounts and the typical limit is 35k for starters and higher for high income or high revenue businesses. This is not a case of such conversions correct? How long ago did they reach these high CLs?

I just wanted folks to get a little bit more info and not have maybe unrealistic expectations across the board during "current" times.

@Walt_K, similar questions for you too, if you can share please.

One of them is a Platinum Delta Skymiles accout with a CL of 75k, it went from 25k where it had been since opened in 2008 to 50k in March to 75k last month.

The other is a SPG Card which was opened last month during the 30k point bonus with with an initial CL of 50k

He hlso has a Business Centurian and a member date of 1996 and another business AMEX revolver with a 10k cl that we have never asked for a increase on because it hasn't been used in years

So again I'm not saying that is the norm, but the 35k is not definite, I just asked him if he has ever had to give tax docs to AMEX and he said no.

Those are some really good limits!. Your input is greatly appreciated. My humble request personally to you is going forward, kindly include these very very vital information so that folks know that

1) There is a 1996 Amex Business Centurion card that has helped build history with Amex.

2) The personal revolver has also had some decent history.

3) Lord knows what the revenues are, and no you do not have to really disclose it because the picture is now much more clear.

Any reason for not going for 2x/3x in the past but in relatively quicker succession this year?

Not saying this is the norm is an understatement!! There may not be many people who can replicate this scenario at all and they will be unnecessarily thrown off when you give your datapoint certainly not applicable to the majority, unless you provide those important background.

The 34.4/35k limit in guide is a subjective figure that probably applies to the common denominator and I have personally seen it happen to me, amongst various other datapoints in the forum.

Agree with enharu's thoughts above too.

I agree with everything you said 100%, I was only pointing out that the 35k is not set in stone as some people lead on.

I only in the last year and a half started helping with my fathers business.  I have my own full time career and just help with the finance portion on the side and in return I get an AMEX Platinum on my dads account (cost him 300 for the Platinum vs 2500 for the centurian) with that I get lounge access and a 200$ airline credit.  I use it for paying their bills to ensure they're getting the most points and I get the Perks for free

I didn't start researching credit until about 2 years ago, at that point my father just used his Centurian for everything and only within the last year have we switched employees off of reimbursement.  Now they all have a card on the Delta account and we earn the miles for their spending, my dad had no reason to ever ask for a higher credit limit as he was never using the account.

The reason why I didn't ask for 3x is not wanting to set any alarms off at AMEX, I think they would probably want to know why someone was ok with a 25k Dollar limit for 6 years and now all the sudden wants to triple the limit on an accout they haven't been using, also there is a huge difference in someone going from 2-6k and asking for 4k in additional limit, or someone going from 5-15k and asking for 10k...  then there is for someone going from 25-75k and asking for 50,000 in additional credit.

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 22 of 24
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@MustangSaluki wrote:

@ryanbush wrote:

@maceto wrote:
Over 35K they ask for tax return, not per card but total exposure. So 1 or 15 cards with Amex, over 35K it's show and tell. Same boat with tax returns as you, so my 30K x 3 is waiting for next year

That is inaccurate... My father has two AMEX credit cards both of them with Credit Lines well over 35k and he has never been asked to verify anything.  I know this because I manage all of his accounts as well as spending for his business.

Yes, agree that it may not be definitive like that, but increased probablility for sure. Like Lexie said, it is a YMMV.

Having said that, I was always curious since I think I have seen you post this before. Are these two Amex accounts personal or business? Plat and PRG can be converted into an option for pay it over time. The conversion causes a virtual limit to be placed as if it were revolving accounts and the typical limit is 35k for starters and higher for high income or high revenue businesses. This is not a case of such conversions correct? How long ago did they reach these high CLs?

I just wanted folks to get a little bit more info and not have maybe unrealistic expectations across the board during "current" times.

@Walt_K, similar questions for you too, if you can share please.

My SPG with a $27K limit is a personal card.  The Hilton card is also a personal card.  I also carry a personal platinum and personal PRG.

Both of my platinum and PRG cards are set up for pay over time.  I am pretty sure I do not have a $35K limit on those cards as I have charged more than that on my platinum card.  The $35K limit is a limit on what you can revolve, not a limit on what you can charge to the card.  Perhaps that was what you were saying.

As far as how long ago they reached those limits, I don't remember exactly.  I applied for the SPG in April 2011.  Initial limit was $19.6K.  I asked for an increase at the 6 month mark and requested $25K, which was approved.  Sometime later, I received an auto-CLI to $27K, but I can't remember when that happened.  I applied for the Hilton card earlier this year.  Initial limit was $13.5K.  

I have a business rewards gold and a business SPG as well.  

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 23 of 24
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus
Moved:

Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.