Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX 61 Day CLI....... Denied!

tag
VegasKyle
Regular Contributor

AMEX 61 Day CLI....... Denied!

First a quick back story: I had some credit trouble in my late teens/early 20's. I found this forum, learned a lot, and did what I could to repair my credit. After that I came to the conclusion only time would help. I may have taken that a little too far, and waited too long, at the beginning of this year I didn't have a credit score. There was nothing on my credit report, good or bad.

In February I decided on a whim to apply for a credit card from Wells Fargo(who I bank with) and was instantly approved for a Visa with a $1500 CL. Bolstered by this approval I then applied for an AMEX green charge card and a Walmart Card. I was denied for both. The reason AMEX gave; no credit score from Experian. In March my Wells Fargo visa was reporting and I was generating a score from Experian ( a FAKO from experian.com at least). I called up AMEX gave the case #/ tracking # or whatever they called the number given on my denial letter from Feb. I explained my situation to the CSR (side note;'the CSR was obviously from India but spoke the queens English perfectly and was able to give me knowledgable and unscripted answers to all my questions, A+ customer service), he encouraged me to reapply for the green card. I did and after some address verification I was approved. Bolstered again by this approval I decided to apply for the Delta Gold Skymiles card and was approved with a $1000 CL.

With my gold card was a letter from AMEX that listed my Experian score as 696 on 3/11/13.

Fast forward to May 14 and I was ready to apply for my 61 day CLI. After reading a bunch of posts I came up with a hypothesis that people have an unfounded fear of AMEX and try and make their report squeaky clean before asking for what seems like almost a formality(61 day 3x CLI). In the 61 day window I applied for a Discover IT card and I ran the AMEX card up to about 90% utilization and then paid it down to just under 50% before requesting the CLI.

I was denied and received a letter a few days later. Under reason(s) for our decision: "The length of time you have been a customer with American Express is too short." Ok, my accounts are back dated to 2000 and why would you offer a CLI after only 61 days if that wasn't sufficient time? And "The average of your payments in relation to the balance on your American Express account(s)." Ah Ha! This seems like the real reason! They also included an Experian score on 746 from 4/20/13.

So, I have to revise my hypothesis a little. Be afraid of AMEX, be very afraid! Not really, but in all seriousness we can infer some things from my little experiment.

As others have said for a long time, AMEX looks beyond your credit score. My score jumped 50 points from 3/11 to 4/20 and they still denied me and didn't bother to repull my scores on 5/14. I thought about calling to recon but decided against it as I don't need the credit and only have to wait 90 days to try again.

I don't know if this is worthy of its own thread or should have been tacked onto the "61 day 3x CLI" thread but I thought it was a unique enough situation I didn't want it lost in a mega thread.

Starting Score: EQ 599, TU 577
Current Score: EQ 703 9/20/14(HI 741 on 5/13), TU 690 10/1/14 (HI 751 on 5/13), EX 700 10/1/14
Goal Score: 750+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Cageym
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX 61 Day CLI....... Denied!

Amex doesn't really like people to carry a balance so I think your util was to high. Also, at any time you can call them and verify the date you are eligible for a CLI. And of course there is always this thread for info: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/The-Definitive-Amex-3X-CLI-Guide/td-p/1811071.

What's in my wallet: Cap1 Venture NFCU Sig Visa Delta Gold Amex BCE Citi Simplicity IHG World MC Amazon Visa CSP
Starting Score: 5/2010 550-ish
Current Score: 6/20/2013 TU 800 6/20/2013 EQ 770 6/20/2013 EX 775
Goal Score: 800 accross the board
Message 2 of 25
E150GT
Frequent Contributor

yep. Thats why I am making sure my report is nice and clean for next months 61 day request. 

CSP-$8700, Amex BCE-17.2k, Chase Freedom-$5700
Discover It-$6600, USAA MC-$5900 Ink Bold- $12k United Explorer-$5k
Message 3 of 25
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@VegasKyle wrote:
First a quick back story: I had some credit trouble in my late teens/early 20's. I found this forum, learned a lot, and did what I could to repair my credit. After that I came to the conclusion only time would help. I may have taken that a little too far, and waited too long, at the beginning of this year I didn't have a credit score. There was nothing on my credit report, good or bad.

In February I decided on a whim to apply for a credit card from Wells Fargo(who I bank with) and was instantly approved for a Visa with a $1500 CL. Bolstered by this approval I then applied for an AMEX green charge card and a Walmart Card. I was denied for both. The reason AMEX gave; no credit score from Experian. In March my Wells Fargo visa was reporting and I was generating a score from Experian ( a FAKO from experian.com at least). I called up AMEX gave the case #/ tracking # or whatever they called the number given on my denial letter from Feb. I explained my situation to the CSR (side note;'the CSR was obviously from India but spoke the queens English perfectly and was able to give me knowledgable and unscripted answers to all my questions, A+ customer service), he encouraged me to reapply for the green card. I did and after some address verification I was approved. Bolstered again by this approval I decided to apply for the Delta Gold Skymiles card and was approved with a $1000 CL.

With my gold card was a letter from AMEX that listed my Experian score as 696 on 3/11/13.

Fast forward to May 14 and I was ready to apply for my 61 day CLI. After reading a bunch of posts I came up with a hypothesis that people have an unfounded fear of AMEX and try and make their report squeaky clean before asking for what seems like almost a formality(61 day 3x CLI). In the 61 day window I applied for a Discover IT card and I ran the AMEX card up to about 90% utilization and then paid it down to just under 50% before requesting the CLI.

I was denied and received a letter a few days later. Under reason(s) for our decision: "The length of time you have been a customer with American Express is too short." Ok, my accounts are back dated to 2000 and why would you offer a CLI after only 61 days if that wasn't sufficient time? And "The average of your payments in relation to the balance on your American Express account(s)." Ah Ha! This seems like the real reason! They also included an Experian score on 746 from 4/20/13.

Hey VegasKyle!

When did you apply for the 61 day CLI?  Did you apply 61 days from approval or 61 days from card acitvation.  I'm not sure on your dates, but it looks to me like you were denied because you haven't yet hit the 61 day threshold.  Did you call Customer Support and ask what day your account will hit 61 days?  Smiley Happy  Might want to give that a try.  I suspect (I'm only guessing here) that if you wait a few more days... you might be eligible to apply if this is the reason.  The 61 days starts at card acitvation not approval date.

Smiley Happy  Hope this helps.  Hope I'm right on this and you can still get that increase if you are eligible.  Smiley Happy 

After re-reading... maybe I'm wrong.  Smiley Happy  But the good thing is... you are eligible to apply again at the 90 mark of a CLI denial.  good luck!

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 4 of 25
VegasKyle
Regular Contributor

61+ days from approval, March 11 to May 14. I think I called and verified the dates.

It isn't 61 days from activation is it? I was out of town when the cards came and didn't activate them for a couple weeks.

Current Score: EQ 703 9/20/14(HI 741 on 5/13), TU 690 10/1/14 (HI 751 on 5/13), EX 700 10/1/14

Message 5 of 25
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@VegasKyle wrote:
61+ days from approval, March 11 to May 14. I think I called and verified the dates.

It isn't 61 days from activation is it? I was out of town when the cards came and didn't activate them for a couple weeks.

Yes.. it's 61 days from activation.  When I called to verify for my first 61 day CLI... the CSR told me the date I was eligible and it was from acitvation date.  Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 6 of 25
VegasKyle
Regular Contributor

Humm.....

Calling AMEX now....

Edit: Amex CSR told me its 61 days from approval not activation.

Message 7 of 25
Cageym
Established Contributor

And the next one you call will tell you different. I just asked them for the date I was eligible.

What's in my wallet: Cap1 Venture NFCU Sig Visa Delta Gold Amex BCE Citi Simplicity IHG World MC Amazon Visa CSP
Starting Score: 5/2010 550-ish
Current Score: 6/20/2013 TU 800 6/20/2013 EQ 770 6/20/2013 EX 775
Goal Score: 800 accross the board
Message 8 of 25
adavis425
Established Contributor

@Cageym wrote:

Amex doesn't really like people to carry a balance so I think your util was to high. Also, at any time you can call them and verify the date you are eligible for a CLI. And of course there is always this thread for info: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/The-Definitive-Amex-3X-CLI-Guide/td-p/1811071.

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm not really certain where this misconception got its start. Why would AmEx offer a revolving credit account and expect no one to carry a balance? I've carried a balance with AmEx on both charge and credit cards with absolutely no AA and got instant approval on my 3x cli. I would really like to know the science behind these statements. Has anyone had any sort of AA directly related to carrying a balance on an AmEx charge or credit card?

AmEx Platinum | AmEx BCP | AmEx Delta Gold | CSP | Chase Freedom | NFCU cashRewards Visa Sig | NFCU Plat MC | WM MC | Discover it | JCP

Message 9 of 25
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

yep, me too for my clear; i haven't been granted a single cli from amex since july 2011. and it is always exactly the same reason too. "the amout of debt with other creditors and with us in relation to your income" its always exactly the same reason. never mind i can always get approved for charges well above my credit limit with them.

my clear is 5k, and i asked for a 1.5k increase to 6.5k; declined.

two minutes later i check to see if i could be approved to charge 6.6k on my clear, approved.... go figure.

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.