cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX 61 Day CLI based on new card or all cards?

tag
fixingitohio
Contributor

AMEX 61 Day CLI based on new card or all cards?

I've had a Amex Delta Card for approximately 15 months.  I did a 3x CLI on that card on Jan 17th.

On Feb 6, I applied for and was approved for a HHonors Amex (with a starting limit exceeding my 3x on the Delta card).

Seeing all the "early CLI" successes, I pulled the trigger a week early for the CLI on the Hilton card (April 8 would be 61 days).

The decline was a little perplexing:

"We cannot increase the credit limit of a Card within six months of increasing the credit limit on another American Express Card."

I thought the 61 day CLI was for each individual card, not dependent on when I got another CLI?

Did I misunderstand or could it be a bogus error message from pulling the trigger too soon?

THoughts?

Thanks

Starting Score: 640 TU / 593 EQ / 596 EX (3/1/13)
Current Score: 695 TU / 725 EQ / 673 EX (11/7/13)
Goal Score: 720 across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
newhis
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX 61 Day CLI based on new card or all cards?

180 days since last CLI in any of your cards, new or old.

So when your 6 months are up from your January CLI you can ask for a CLI in either of your cards. If it is the old card, then you can move some balance to the new one (need 13 months to be able to transfer limit).

EDIT: the 61 days was only for first card with Amex. Now you can request a CLI as soon as you get your first card.

Message 2 of 6
Zorasmiles
Established Contributor

I'm pretty sure it is with any product that has had a CLI with AMEX.  IIRC you will have to wait at least 90 days from the date of denial or 180 days from the last increase of a CLI--it gets confusing the more AMEX CC's you have.  Congrats on the HHonors card.

If you are a HHonors member you can get an extra 1,000 points for changing your password right now between March 10 and April 10, 2015.

FICO scores are your calling card to the business world. Build a negative reputation and those doors are hard to open, find that perfect balance of credit responsibility and those doors open when you desire them.
Message 3 of 6
fixingitohio
Contributor

Thanks.  Well nuts.

Oh well.  Amex has treated me well!

Thanks for the info.

Starting Score: 640 TU / 593 EQ / 596 EX (3/1/13)
Current Score: 695 TU / 725 EQ / 673 EX (11/7/13)
Goal Score: 720 across the board

Message 4 of 6
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

There have been some changes lately regarding this.  There is a database being formulated now to update the information.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@newhis wrote:

180 days since last CLI in any of your cards, new or old.

So when your 6 months are up from your January CLI you can ask for a CLI in either of your cards. If it is the old card, then you can move some balance to the new one (need 13 months to be able to transfer limit).

EDIT: the 61 days was only for first card with Amex. Now you can request a CLI as soon as you get your first card.

This^^^^^^^..  is the best answer. Majority of the people that got a CLI on thier newly activated cards have never asked for 3xCLI on an old card..

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.