Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX 61 Day increase DENIED

tag
charyot77
Regular Contributor

AMEX 61 Day increase DENIED

I often see posts about approvals, so for balance I wanted to post about my denial.

Back in early September I had a very successful app spree that added 5 new prime cards to my credit file and tripled my available credit.

One of the cards was an AMEX (vanilla) Blue for $3000.  I had requested $7000 in hopes that they would counter it and at least give me $5000, but instead I got the dreaded "7-10 day" message.

When I last checked my REAL FICO scores back in October, they were all in the 705-725 range.  I imagine that I have a high internal risk score with AMEX though as I've barely run $100 through the card (I've been using my other new cards because they give me cash back, have better rewards than useless MRE points, and have great sign on bonuses).

I plan to run a few hundred more dollars through the card before I convert it to a BCE so that I can get the signon bonus, then I'll use it heavily for the cash back.

I'm hoping to get a CSP in the first quarter of 2013, but now I'm a little worried as my highest limit is $4000 (US Bank) and I've heard that Chase likes to see you have an account with $5K+ to get a CSP approval.

I'm not upset as I'm not a credit addict. I just saw this as the easiest opportunity to get over the $5,000 limit hump.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
beb86
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX 61 Day increase DENIED

A 7-10 day message doesn't have to mean you were denied a CLI....try calling them and talking with them.

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would maybe up your spend with your AMEX. I know some people say it isn't necessary but how many people (like myself) do you see with a high CL with Amex. I put almost all of my spend through my amex products and have for the last 2 years. Spending money through Amex and paying it in full lowers your internal risk yielding to higher limits.

Message 3 of 12
CreditEd
Regular Contributor

"When I last checked my REAL FICO scores back in October, they were all in the 705-725 range.  "

I'm sure you know this, but AMEX checks EX about 95% of the time so please be sure to make sure that report is clean.

NPSL              $25k            $25k              $23k              $22k               $16k              $12k              $10k            $6.5k
Message 4 of 12
charyot77
Regular Contributor

I called the AMEX recon line about my CLI increase.

They were really nice and explained the reasons for my denial.

She said that my my utilization was too high and that my FICO was too low.

I found this all strange because I bought my FICO scores in late October and they were about 20-30 points higher than what she "quoted" and I did have a large purchase that I had paid off before I applied, but it didnt show until later (I think).

I'm guessing that they used an old report to deny me?  I could probably ask them to reconsider, but I applied for so many new accounts, I don't want another hard pull.

Message 5 of 12
RyVision
Valued Contributor

@charyot77 wrote:

I called the AMEX recon line about my CLI increase.

They were really nice and explained the reasons for my denial.

She said that my my utilization was too high and that my FICO was too low.

I found this all strange because I bought my FICO scores in late October and they were about 20-30 points higher than what she "quoted" and I did have a large purchase that I had paid off before I applied, but it didnt show until later (I think).

I'm guessing that they used an old report to deny me?  I could probably ask them to reconsider, but I applied for so many new accounts, I don't want another hard pull.

THAT could be part of the issue even though they're not saying so.   AMEX can be touchy with new recent accounts (anything with in the last 6 months esp).  Couple that with higher UTIL than they are comfortable with when they look at other info and they have a number of reasons to list for denial.

Don't feel bad however, I was denied my CLI on the phone as well a while back.  Not going to ask again right after the 6 month mark is up though, I can't even use their 0% offer properly or they can frown on that as well (as we all know, that can be an issue with them but not a given). 

I am sure people are much more willing to post their success with the 61x3 request than they are a denial (I think I posted long ago that mine was a no go).   Which is ok, between Discover and Freedom I've made over 600 cash back compared to what AMEX BLUE or ZYNC offers.  AMEX was even a bit misleading about the "bonus" I got with BLUE as far as I was concerned and I told them so too  (23,000 points was only worth 120ish in "statement credit").

Don't get me wrong, I still like my AMEX's for what they do, give great protection and CS with purchase issues etc and retaining my oldest credit age, but other than that, they're not really worth the worry they cause some people.   I can tell you for a fact, they have changed a bit, and not for the good, in the last 24 years.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 6 of 12
Yankeefan
Valued Member

It's been said Amex uses the latest inquiry they have on file. If that is the case, and I don't if it is, then it would make sense to watch your reports and see when Amex looks at your report. Provided you are eligible for a cli review, I would request right after they pull a "ideal" report. 

Message 7 of 12
charyot77
Regular Contributor

@RyVision wrote:

I am sure people are much more willing to post their success with the 61x3 request than they are a denial (I think I posted long ago that mine was a no go).   Which is ok, between Discover and Freedom I've made over 600 cash back compared to what AMEX BLUE or ZYNC offers.  AMEX was even a bit misleading about the "bonus" I got with BLUE as far as I was concerned and I told them so too  (23,000 points was only worth 120ish in "statement credit").

Don't get me wrong, I still like my AMEX's for what they do, give great protection and CS with purchase issues etc and retaining my oldest credit age, but other than that, they're not really worth the worry they cause some people.   I can tell you for a fact, they have changed a bit, and not for the good, in the last 24 years.

This is why I'm posting my denial stories...because if you look through the threads there are way too more approval stories. You would think that no one is getting denied these days.

I'm fine with the credit that I have for the most part, so this isn't a heartbreaker, I just want something over that $5K line.

Message 8 of 12
RyVision
Valued Contributor

@charyot77 wrote:

@RyVision wrote:

This is why I'm posting my denial stories...because if you look through the threads there are way too more approval stories. You would think that no one is getting denied these days.

I'm fine with the credit that I have for the most part, so this isn't a heartbreaker, I just want something over that $5K line.

And I have little doubt you'll get your wish eventually, maybe even via AMEX 6 or so months from now (for them that is, others could be sooner).   If I did (not with AMEX yet that I know of, only 3.5k there) I'm sure you can.   Smiley Happy

Not to prompt an app spree (even 1 app) but have you considered Discover if you don't already have it? 

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 9 of 12
RyVision
Valued Contributor

@Yankeefan wrote:

It's been said Amex uses the latest inquiry they have on file. If that is the case, and I don't if it is, then it would make sense to watch your reports and see when Amex looks at your report. Provided you are eligible for a cli review, I would request right after they pull a "ideal" report. 

+1

Very true, I noticed that with my CLI request on the denial letter, as well when I called to ask about said report date on the phone.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.