cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX 61 day CLI on SPG...do it now or wait?

tag
IWOL
Established Contributor

AMEX 61 day CLI on SPG...do it now or wait?

I got the SPG card in June and my 61 days is tomorrow.

They gave me a very low starting limit of $1k. Have 5 cards with 5 digit limit and $126k total limits.

My util is hovering around 23% right now but I just paid $5k off on Fidelity and $2k on Discover, wa carrying at 0% on those.

That  should drop my Util to around 16%.

My new Venture card with $15k limit and Auto refi have yet to report.

Should I go ahead and request the. CLI now before the 2 new accounts report or wait until my Util updates next month around the 20th? My current EX Fico 08 shows 716.

not sure which will hurt or help more?

I'm not in a rush to get the CLI, I've been running the SPG close to max and then just making payment  2 times a month so I can keep using it.I've put $3100 through it since opening and it has a $5 balance that reported 2 days ago. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: AMEX 61 day CLI on SPG...do it now or wait?

Amex will use your last sp and in some cases the second to the last  sp.  If you are unsure, I'd wait until you've determined when they last viewed your CR's and decide based on those factors. 

Message 2 of 4
red259
Super Contributor

@IWOL wrote:

They gave me a very low starting limit of $1k. Have 5 cards with 5 digit limit and $126k total limits.

My util is hovering around 23% right now but I just paid $5k off on Fidelity and $2k on Discover, wa carrying at 0% on those.

Should I go ahead and request the. CLI now before the 2 new accounts report or wait until my Util updates next month around the 20th? My current EX Fico 08 shows 716.

I'm not in a rush to get the CLI, I've been running the SPG close to max and then just making payment  2 times a month so I can keep using it.I've put $3100 through it since opening and it has a $5 balance that reported 2 days ago. 

Is this your only amex card (the fidelity isn't a real amex)? If so, I might be inclined to wait a bit and see if Amex gives you an auto CLI due to your heavy use and payments. Then you could do a 3x CLI on that new amount. I'm toying with that idea right now for my SPG, but my problem is I have significant credit lines on other amex cards that I am not using at all, so I don't think amex will fall for it. Also, I'm hesitant to do it since I want to apply for another amex in Jan and if I wait on the CLI request for the spg card it will push back the 61 day CLI on my new card in Jan. I'd rait until your util updates in any event, so you make the best impression. On a side note if you apply for the CLI now and are denied due to util etc you can always reapply in the future. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 3 of 4
JLK93
Established Contributor

@IWOL wrote:

You could bring your util down to 1%, and in the mean time, continue using your SPG responsibly. Then, in a few months, you could apply for another Amex. You might get a much higher starting limit. You could use the 61 day CLI on that card.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.