Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX 61 day CLI question

tag
Weights
Regular Contributor

AMEX 61 day CLI question

I applied and got approved for the BCE on 1/01/2014.  That's also the date being reported on by credit reports.  Does this mean I can ask for up to 3X my starting limit this monday, 3/03/2014, since that is 61 days?  

Also, when I clicked on the credit limit increase link while logged into my account, nothing was said about a maximum of up to 3X CL (not that I'm planning to ask for more) or waiting 61 days.  Why is this?  

My EX report is more or less the same during the last sp as when the account was opened.  767 EX fico with no other new accounts, inquiries, or anything like that.  I welcome any other advice.  Thanks. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX 61 day CLI question

They don't tell you the max is 3x, it just is. If your util is in the single digits, and your cs are like you said, then there is no problem--unless some baddy just showed up. If you hit the button too early, it will say that your account is not eligible. This won't reset the clock or anything....so you can just try a couple days later.

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 2 of 8
Enmie

So you when you ask for an AmEx CLI on the 61st day, it SHOULD BE BY PHONE? 3x CLI won't be guaranteed when done online?

Message 3 of 8
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Enmie wrote:

So you when you ask for an AmEx CLI on the 61st day, it SHOULD BE BY PHONE? 3x CLI won't be guaranteed when done online?

First, nothing is guaranteed. Second, it doesn't matter if it's by phone or online.
Message 4 of 8
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Weights wrote:

Also, when I clicked on the credit limit increase link while logged into my account, nothing was said about a maximum of up to 3X CL (not that I'm planning to ask for more) or waiting 61 days.  Why is this?  

Probably to try to keep people from gaming the system.  If they told people 3x was the max then people would just request 3x.  In my experience creditors generally don't hand out this sort of information.

@Enmie wrote:

So you when you ask for an AmEx CLI on the 61st day, it SHOULD BE BY PHONE? 3x CLI won't be guaranteed when done online?

+1 for doesn't matter and there are no guarantees.  Whether you call or do it online your credit and history with AmEx is the same either way.  I've always gone online.  use whichever you prefer.

Message 5 of 8
Enmie

@takeshi74 wrote:
Probably to try to keep people from gaming the system.  If they told people 3x was the max then people would just request 3x.  In my experience creditors generally don't hand out this sort of information.

Hi, takeshi!! So, you said you've always done it online and also that there's no way to indicate you want the CLI 3x, so they just do an increase 3x even if you do it online? Or you just have that much high of an income and very good FICO?

Message 6 of 8
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

OP, you should read these threads that will answer your questions along with some you may have not thought of.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/The-Definitive-Amex-3X-CLI-Guide/td-p/1811071

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/The-Definitive-Amex-3X-CLI-Guide-Discussion-Thread/td-p...

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 7 of 8
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

@Rhaeny wrote:

OP, you should read these threads that will answer your questions along with some you may have not thought of.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/The-Definitive-Amex-3X-CLI-Guide/td-p/1811071

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/The-Definitive-Amex-3X-CLI-Guide-Discussion-Thread/td-p...

exactly.

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.