Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX 61 day cli question

tag
stealthc63
New Contributor

AMEX 61 day cli question

So I just got my Delta Gold and BCE cards and I'm really hoping to get a 3x increase after 61 days. I just want to make sure I'm using the cards properly. From what it looks like Amex likes high spenders that PIF so I was wondering how much I should be spending each month approx. I figured 200-300 per card would be pretty good. That being said do I really need to shell out 400-600 out of pocket each month to pay them off or can a small balance be carried? I just wanna make sure I treat Amex well so I can see some hefty lines in the future. 

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Re: AMEX 61 day cli question

I just got my 3xcli a couple days ago.

a few things:

it was 61 days after APPROVAL, not activation. at least, this is TRUE for me. rep said " you are eligible 60 days AFTER account OPENING". People will argue all day long about whether the 61 day 3xcli is in reference to approval or activation, however.

My first statement bal was like $200 on a cl of $3500; I pif'ed.

My second statement bal was like $563 (same cl); I pif'ed.

when I requested a 3xcli to $10500, I had like a $400+ bal, and I was granted the 3xcli. Now that I have it though, I may carry a teeny weeny balance haha.

I'd pif in full the first months, then if you receive that infamous 3xcli, then maybe revolve  a bal. Afterall, my BCE is at 0% for a year! lol Your Amex Delta Gold prob isn't at 0% for a year.

my 3xcli was based on a sp from two weeks prior, and my Fico was about 700 on EXP.

good luck :-)

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 2 of 13
lionsfan20
Regular Contributor

dont know why I keep seeing people talking about PIF , it has no impact on your increase what so ever , just stay current and dont consistently use above 30-50% of your limit and youll be fine.

Message 3 of 13
shakalaka
Established Contributor

And you can only request a CLI for one card AFAIK? And then every 6 months on one of your cards. Not on each of your cards every 6 months.

FICO (TU/EX/EQ): 773/766/778 - Total CL 255+K
Message 4 of 13
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

I have 1k limit should I charge more than $500 and then PIF before the statement cut !?!!? Is it okay to so with Amex !?????
Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 5 of 13
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Pif matters bc you dont want to max out a card and revolve that balance lol duhhh
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 6 of 13
lionsfan20
Regular Contributor

but that is common sense , my point is that if you have a 1k limit and constantly revolve 500 , there is absolutely no effect of that on your relationship with amex pertaining to cli or anything else. I keep seeing people say PIF every week or every time you use the card and that just totally makes no sense. The only way it would matter is if this is your only card and then your util would be 50% but other than that , there is no problem having a revoliving balance with exception to 70-90% of the limit , although that might not mean that much either. Just pay on time and dont go over the limit and your good

Message 7 of 13
distantarray
Established Contributor

@lionsfan20 wrote:

dont know why I keep seeing people talking about PIF , it has no impact on your increase what so ever , just stay current and dont consistently use above 30-50% of your limit and youll be fine.

if you demonstrate the need for a higher limit with your lifestyle then it can help on a manual review. Amex likes to see that you can be capable of making big payments. If you really need 20k credit limits, and your at 10k it could be hard , but then you should have other cards but people like having favorite cards.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 8 of 13
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Oh yeah ... paying it every week is pointless. Just pay the bal on your statement in full. You dont wanna let yourself have a high reported util just for the sake of your fico obvi.
Message 9 of 13
lionsfan20
Regular Contributor

what is the point of a revolving card? lol...it makes no sense to do that..if this is your only card then I would say keep it at 20% util..but if you have another 10k credit card..60% revolving on that card aint gonna do squat to your fico...anyone who pays in full every month or every week is just way to paranoid about a score.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.